Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Re: Are women worse drivers than men?

I shouldn't be in here at all, I don't drive but I can give my views as an experienced passenger. At the risk of being called a traitor to my gender, I have to say that I would sooner be in a car with a Woman driving, they seem to concentrate on what they are doing more so than the lads. My usual drivers (I usually use the bus or train) when I need them are all Women, my Daughter, Daughter in law, and my Sister. When they get into the car a change comes over them and I find it safer to keep my mouth firmly shut and let them do any necessary talking, I remember an officer of the AA telling me in a pub that more accidents occur IN the car with couples than outside). On the other hand any Men I get into a car with, (and I must point out that I'm not in the habit of getting into cars with strange Men, only those I know well) have a very casual approach to driving, as if they were born to it and nothing can ever go wrong as long as they are in charge.
From this experienced passenger's point of view, my vote goes to the Ladies I'm afraid.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 08:49 PM

Sensible man Alan And thank you Jimmy, for your honesty and you are entitled to your opinion. (just as well it was on the side of the ladies )

Well, I did drive an articulated lorry for a few years..you know the one.
I believe it is genetic too.....my daughter drives and reverses horse boxes and a 30 foot car carrying trailer.
My son too is a wizz at reversing his trailer and father in law's caravan.

Barry, not sure if you are joking about your wife but I will tell you, in truth, that during my menopause, I had difficulty finding my way to town!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 09:01 PM

I agree with Janela I don't think women take the chances that men will often take either. Because women often carry their children around in the car, I think they tend to be far more careful. Also women are generally not as competitive as men when driving and also don't seem to give way to "the red mist descending" when a preceived wrong is done to them by another driver on the roads. There are always exceptions, but many women also don't seem to need to satisfy an "image" thing or have a macho ego to maintain like many men.

I don't care what is under the hood of the car as long as it gets me where I want to go and doesn't often go wrong. I can't get excited about engines and what they can or cannot do like many men and I also don't really care what the car looks like or how old it is. As for doing my own maintenance - no way - that's what men are there for; I will pay for it and let a man do it for me. They don't usually mind getting dirty.

As for reverse parking - there are always cars with parking sensors and park assist, if they are needed, but I agree with Barry (up to a point) because I can't park easily in very small places - never have been able to do it, so if I don't have to I don't try. I would sooner walk a bit and park further away in a spot where I am not as likely to get a careless scrape or bump from other drivers opening doors on me.

Unofrtunately, I think insurance premiums will soon not be more favourable towards women - I think I heard somewhere that there has been a moan about discrimating against men regarding premiums (something to do with Sheila's Wheels) - so soon it will probably be no advantage being a women as far as insurance goes.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Aerolor, you are right about the insurance, it is going to be the same for both. Which means Women are now having to pay more.
I am quite good at reversing my car. I do it everyday down my driveway, between the two houses, with a step and grid to avoid.

I will not drive my husband, he has to much to say, my son's worse, I have frettened to throw him out of my car a few time, if he did not shut up.

I find that Men drive to close to the car infront of them. It really annoys me when they drive right up the backside of your car. I slow down, so they take over me. Or keep hitting the brakes in hope they will keep there distance.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I don't think I will join in this conversation, with discretion being the better part of valour methinks.

P.S. Enjoy comparing your superiority ladies...until you have to reverse park that is...
What's so hard about Reverse Parking I find it's no Problem, and I have a long Car to Park...a VW Passat Estate.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Statistics show that women are less likely to have an accident however a number seem to be unable to completely grasp the knack of reversing.

My gate is testimony to this inability.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 10:59 PM

I'm not a bad driver, but I don't do reverse parking - so at least I am being honest. I can do any other sort of reversing though, and I used to do that best when I had my Ford Cortina Mk 5 Estate, which was enormous.

Only yesterday at work, some of the blokes I work with were laughing about how many times they get speeding/parking tickets - as if it were something funny or to be proud of. I've never had one of those.

Tell a lie. Years ago when I had the Cortina I was sent a parking fine which stated that xxxxxx (my car registration number) was parked in Bridge Street, Liverpool at something like 9.20 p.m. on a particular Friday night. I rang the Police and said my car had never been to Liverpool since I bought it and that night me and him were playing at a pub near Wigan with about 150 people as witnesses. I was told to write a letter of mitigation and it was dropped.

I always stick to the speed limit as well and pay due care and attention, although I sometimes think my car is a magnet to attract cars which come out at me from all over the place, driven - by men!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2012, 12:58 AM

I think women have more patience than men when driving and I think mostly are more courteous than men, not always but mostly. My OH was a truck driver for most of his working life and every day when he came home it was always the same, idiots on the road, always trying to overtake him, got to get to the roundabout before him etc etc, well nothing has changed since he retired, he still complains endlessly about this idiot, or that idiot, mind you he's usually right. He does drive faster than I do but always within the speed limit but I think I'm a safer driver than him, I have a lot more patience than he does, I don't have trouble reversing either and our car is quite big, a Mazda Premacy. When I was learning to drive xxx years ago, my instructor said I would be bound to pass first time if I could take the test in reverse gear, haha.

In Kenya we had a big Toyota Hilux Surf, I hated it, it was like driving a double decker bus but I would drive happily enough around our area, I would even drive as far as the Likoni ferry but no way would I drive it onto the ferry and no way would I consider driving in Mombasa, I left all that to him and just hung on with my eyes closed.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
women dont shout obscenities out of the window at inferior drivers
You haven't met my wife then.....
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2012, 01:59 PM

Its quite simple really. Historically insurers have given discounts to lady drivers as they are a better risk. Says it all really.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top