Join for free
Page 19 of 36 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:18 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Had one put in a couple of years ago free by BG, not sure if it saves me money,never bother to check how much energy we use.Why are you against them?
This has all been discussed.
There are concerns that, once well established, they could be used to vary tariffs across different times of day - to the suppliers' advantage. For example, they could charge much less for overnight use (when nobody uses electricity!) and much more during day and especially evening times (when electricity use is at its highest)!
Some are also concerned about EM emissions, as with mobile phones, only greater!
Then there is the ability for suppliers to remotely disable electricity supplies for whatever reason.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Had one put in a couple of years ago free by BG, not sure if it saves me money,never bother to check how much energy we use.Why are you against them?
Anything that sends a signal Deylon can be hacked by unscrupulous people, or even a foreign power intent on causing confusion as has already happened with computer networks.
Granny J
Hampshire
Granny J is female 

04-01-2018, 09:43 PM

I haven'r read through all the posts, but I have got a smart meter, thanks to Ovo, for a year or more, and so far it has worked absolutely fine. I can check any time how much gas and electricity I'm using at any time. Though I don't check as much as I used to.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 11:03 PM

Why should one want one, especially if it's free.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why should one want one, especially if it's free.
I might want one...
if they pay me...
a regular payment of £100/month should cover it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 01:39 PM

I have just read this on the Martin Lewis site, and thought it may be of interest to anyone who is being pestered by their energy company.
I wasn't aware there were two types of Smart Meter even:

What does Ofgem say?

An Ofgem spokesperson said energy users have a "right to decline" smart meters and that "suppliers must not mislead consumers".

He added: "Ofgem is working with suppliers offering smart meter installations to make sure their communications help their customers reap the benefits of smart metering and are transparent and accurate."

Should I get a smart meter now?
As well as being free, smart meters do offer a lot of benefits over traditional meters, including automatic readings and an end to estimated bills.

There's one big snag currently though – most smart meters being installed at the moment are still first-generation SMETS1 meters, which will lose most of their functionality and essentially become a standard meter if you go on to switch supplier.

Although this doesn't stop you from switching, if you know you're going to switch provider soon, you may want to wait until AFTER you switch to get one.

New second-generation smart meters, known as SMETS2 meters, WILL be able to keep their functionality after you switch. So if you're offered a smart meter, check to see which type you're being offered first. E.on has told us it's currently testing SMETS2 and intends to roll these out further in the coming months.

If you do get a first-generation SMETS1 meter, and it goes 'dumb' after you switch, this should be temporary. Eventually all existing meters will be upgraded remotely so they can connect to the central communication network, enabling full compatibility between suppliers. We don't know when this will happen yet, though it should be by 2020.

If this doesn't happen or the upgrade doesn't work for you, then the worst case is that you may need to arrange another appointment at home to have a SMETS2 installed to replace your SMETS1 - potentially annoying and inconvenient, but not the end of the world. See our Smart Meters guide for more info.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 02:06 PM

Thanks Mups, not as 'Smart' as they thought then ay.....
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 03:39 PM

We have no problem with smart meters.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 03:59 PM

So you are the other OVO customer I was wondering who they were I got asked by OVO as well to have them fitted and basically said no, I don't think I need them.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2018, 04:23 PM

I've been contacted by Eon as they want to inspect both my electricity and gas meters for safety as they said they had not seen them for a while.

I am on pre pay for both meters, one has a top up card and the other a top up key.
While talking to them they said that because I am a priority customer as I used a electric nebulizer pump for breathing ventolin, that I shouldn't be on pre pay as if my electricity runs out I wouldn't be able to run nebulizer.
I do have the option of putting the key back in for £5 credit though.
She then said they make special arrangements for new meters for priority customers. It sounds like they want to change my meters.

Page 19 of 36 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top