Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:46 PM

Re: Days out

Im going by a coach company for the day Jazzi .Ive not been before so not clued up on it .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Im going by a coach company for the day Jazzi .Ive not been before so not clued up on it .....
Ok, thanks. I'll look into it later.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I got the bus from/to the station in Norwich.

Eliza, the museum is tiny and about the history of the bridge.

Are Ironbridge and Blist Hill possible to visit independently? Does one need to go by Shearings, for instance? Or can one catch a train or bus?
Jazzi ... BIB ... I meant the walk to the station in Great Yarmouth

Re Ironbridge ... depends where you are staying ... Shrewsbury would be a good base for Ironbridge and Blists Hill (involves about a 15 minute walk though) and also Bridgnorth. A word of warning though ... it's a bit uphill in parts.

Worth googling to see what you think. I've booked Premier Inn in Shrewsbury ... it's quite reasonable and Shrewsbury's a nice place ... you could also visit Ludlow ... I'm going to Much Wenlock and Oswestry whilst I'm there.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 07:10 AM

Hi Myrtle, ah, ok.

I'll do some research into those places, thanks. I don't want to go with a coach trip or organised tour as you never get enough time to see what you want, you do?

I watched The Sweetmakers the other day, which was set in Blist Hill. They sold their sweets to kids eho had dressed for the era. Was a fascinating watch to see them making sweets the old fashioned way. They used to pad out sweets with paraffin wax, so the cooks in the documentary tried it. Yeuch!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 01:26 PM

I loved Blists Hill - and what a small world bumping into Myrtle there.

I didn't see you in the pub having a lunchtime sing a long Myrtle - mind you it was crowded - Chris & I just managed to get a seat. Surprisingly a lot of the young people seemed to know the words to 'My old man said follow the van' and others songs from the era..

Oh and anybody visiting really ought to try the chippie. Their chips are the best I've ever tasted - done in beef dripping. They give you a gigantic cone of chips for £2.50 so Chris & I shared one.

A great place to visit - the time just flew by.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Hi

Ironbridge is lovely, I fish there.

There are major works on the bridge itself just started, so you may not see it.

There are many things to see around Ironbridge, the China Museum in particular.

You do need a car though, it is quite spread out.

Shrewsbury is lovely and very compact, so easy to walk round.

I lived there for over 20 years.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Shrewsbury is lovely and very compact, so easy to walk round.

I agree - it's a lovely town with some very interesting buildings.

I'm going back about 10 years - We stayed at the Shrewsbury Hotel in the middle of the town Getting there was a total nightmare due to the very complicated one way system. A very kind local got in our car and directed us.

I remember on the Friday night the town was awash with students. I don't know where they came from...
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 10:26 PM

I'm going to Shrewsbury by train so no traffic problems for me

I was in Ironbridge last Tuesday and there was no work being done on the bridge ???

Carol ... I don't go into pubs except for Wetherspoons to get something to eat
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

09-08-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->

Carol ... I don't go into pubs except for Wetherspoons to get something to eat

You would have enjoyed the sing-a-long round the piano Myrtle. You could have had a soft drink.
It was very atmospheric - just like being transported back in time 100 years..
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk

09-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
You would have enjoyed the sing-a-long round the piano Myrtle. You could have had a soft drink.
It was very atmospheric - just like being transported back in time 100 years..
Grace and I did walk round the pub and it was lovely

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top