Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 01:27 AM

Re: Google Chrome and Vista

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I go back before Windows, anyone remember Msdos?
I cut my IBM-PC teeth on MSDOS 3.3 and still use the wonderful DOS commands for all my backups. Much quicker than any GUI backup program.

There have been a lot of new commands added since the days of MSDOS, when from memory there were only 8 commands, the new ones make the command line even more powerful and flexible.

My first computer was a System 80 then Commodore 64 and 128 before I bought an IBM machine.

My favourite program in the DOS days was Desqview which chopped the memory into 640K blocks and allowed multitasking long before Windows was able to.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 08:35 PM

I've just downloaded (and am using right now) the browser Lunascape. There don't seem to be any issues about needing any SPs, so let's see how I go with it.

I have a heck of a lot of stuff on this Vista desktop and am not throwing it out just yet, or buying a new OP.

I can't use Chrome (unsupported) and Firefox just goes mental when I try to open it, and Safara just has the running circle keep going, without doing anything.

So, what was I left with? A Google search on my iPad suggested this.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I've just downloaded (and am using right now) the browser Lunascape. There don't seem to be any issues about needing any SPs, so let's see how I go with it.

I have a heck of a lot of stuff on this Vista desktop and am not throwing it out just yet, or buying a new OP.

I can't use Chrome (unsupported) and Firefox just goes mental when I try to open it, and Safara just has the running circle keep going, without doing anything.

So, what was I left with? A Google search on my iPad suggested this.
Hope it works for you Jazzi! Like many old dears around the world that threw their hands up in horror at Googles XP/Vista announcement, I have done the looking and reading as well Jazzi.

Hanging on by the skin of our teeth has never been so apt.. not app..APT. As our choices are now so limited I went on advice and am trying Firefox...which has a couple of mysteries to solve but at the moment I am content that it is mainly working until I see what April 15th does to it

One thing about all this is, apart from purchasing all new, I have had no other option but to go for it and attempt downloading and changing things. I am not at ease with it and it is scary for non puter techs, but when is does work I do feel a quiet sense of achievement which has encouraged me.

In short to say this has well and truly pushed me out of my comfort zone has to be the understatement of the year.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:53 AM

It all tests me at times! I used Lunascape for an hour or so after downloading it, and it does need care when navigating around the site, to get used to its foibles.

I'll let you know later (after more use) if it's been okay.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 07:39 AM

I haven't tried Lunascape but Techspot and other places say it is good. It's had a few mentions on Wilders Security Forums without bringing derisory comments (a good sign). I read it is of Japanese origin.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

14-02-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I haven't tried Lunascape but Techspot and other places say it is good. It's had a few mentions on Wilders Security Forums without bringing derisory comments (a good sign). I read it is of Japanese origin.
Thanks, mart...that sounds promising.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top