Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:42 PM

Re: Why do people believe in gods?

Of course she can go out she has acres of park land and vast estates in Scotland where she can go out where no one will see here
It's no big thrill to go to Waitrose or Tesco .
But she could if she wanted too.

Actually she does go out she went to see War Horse at a public performance and sat in the small theatre the same as everyone else . No doubt she goes exactly where she wants .

I mean she's 90 this year she's not going to be having a pub crawl .

For all I know maybe she hits the Windsor gardening centre every week for pensioners lunches.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 12:52 AM

Why do people believe in gods?

This question can be expanded in 2 ways. Firstly, why do people believe in anything? and secondly what does OP mean by the term "believe"?

To understand the answer one must first understand what a human is. A Human is a vessel which operates according to a finite set of pre-programmed rules. The vessel grows according to a ruleset (from foetus, to baby to child to adult) and it behaves according to rulesets that it is given during that growth process.

We must recognise therefore that a human becomes whatever it is made to become by the external forces and programming given to it. Just as a glass vase might be filled with water and daffodils or alternatively with oil or beads or poison, so too the human can be filled with all manner of programming, concepts, ideas, perceived limits, behaviours and so on.

People believe in "something" because they have been GIVEN the idea of that something by external forces in some way. As humans they operate on a complex set of rulesets. Some of the rules mean that perceived beliefs get strengthened and take more hold as a result of re-inforcing inputs. For example when a human sees many other humans doing something, they accept that concept more readily. If I had told you 10 years ago that in the future we would be able to get young teenagers to walk about in public with their trousers half way down their legs and their underpants on full display, you would not have believed it. Yet today they do just that. It is patently stupid and ridiculous, but their acceptance of the concept runs on the same rulesets as all beliefs. They see lots of others doing so and thus accept the concept.

People believe in gods and all manner of other things because they have been given notions and ideas of that nature by other humans. No baby comes out of a womb, instinctively knowing and believing in a god. Humans in every case, provide that idea and concept and then re-inforce it with large numbers and with lots of media inputs. This runs through generations and has done for countless years to the extent that the parents who have themselves been pre-programmed by their own parents, are now instilling the same ideas into their own children. It is a self perpetuating system of conditioning that is now totally out of control. One must ask oneself, who first came up with the original notion and began programming another humans with that idea, and for what purpose? The answers should be fairly obvious TBH.

The hardest thing any person will achieve in their own lifetime, imo, is to recognise the human condition, recognise that they are simply an empty vessel that has been programmed with rules and ideas by OTHER HUMANS, and to then, empty oneself of those ideas, remove the dependencies in life that those ideas have created, and to thereby set oneself truly free.

I believe that millions of people die every year without ever achieving this important milestone in life.

We must understand the human condition and who we are. Until we do that, we are hopelessly lost in a false world that was generated for us by other humans. We are acting out someone else's way of life, way of living. We are just glass vases that someone else has filled.

We must know ourselves, empty our vases of the garbage put in there by other helpless humans who themselves had their own vases filled with garbage by other humans.

This then is not a question of believing in gods or not, nor of believing in ghosts or magic healings or afterlives or anything else. It is a question of understanding who we are, and how we have managed to end up in the mess we find ourselves in and how we continually allow other humans to keep filling our vases with garbage.

It is a question of taking back control and purposefully choosing to vet and objectively consider what should go into the vase. A question of being your own person and not a programmed slave of others.

TEMET NOSCE
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Of course she can go out she has acres of park land and vast estates in Scotland where she can go out where no one will see here
It's no big thrill to go to Waitrose or Tesco .
But she could if she wanted too.

Actually she does go out she went to see War Horse at a public performance and sat in the small theatre the same as everyone else . No doubt she goes exactly where she wants .

I mean she's 90 this year she's not going to be having a pub crawl .

For all I know maybe she hits the Windsor gardening centre every week for pensioners lunches.
Perhaps. However, her life is still not exactly her own, is it?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:26 AM

That is her choice .
Charles would have taken over any time this last 30 years.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There is absolutely no scientific evidence for the absence of a God either.
This gets said a lot. Can you prove the non-existence of Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, Burrowing Spider Frogs on Mars? When you can prove any of these do not exist, I will at the same time have proven your god does not exist.

It is nonsensical to validate the existence of something by saying it cannot be proven not to exist.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:59 AM

Einstein understood God. Because he observed nature and the universe...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-12-19-54-28-1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	281  
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
I do not believe in chance. That the universe exist with such order and laws by a simple draw of the cards. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
Yet, one must not be so blind as to not see the perfection of the universe and that this obvious perfection
was not caused by chance
For me that is what makes the universe and everything in it so wonderful - the fact that the whole thing is an amazing cosmic accident/coincidence. I absolutely love that ....

Of course there are things we will never know about the why and wherefores of our universe and reality itself, but we are so insignificant in the scale of things that such considerations are pointless. To make up "god" stories to mask our lack of knowledge with a false veneer of certainty is basically childish.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->

It is nonsensical to validate the existence of something by saying it cannot be proven not to exist.
Agree 100%
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
This gets said a lot. Can you prove the non-existence of Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, Burrowing Spider Frogs on Mars? When you can prove any of these do not exist, I will at the same time have proven your god does not exist.

Hi

I agree, however that is exactly the same thought process used by Atheists to justify their belief.

You either believe or you don't.

We rubbish now those primitives, as we call them, who worshipped the Sun as a God.

The Sun was their Creator.

Technically they are correct, without the Sun humans would not exist.

Atheists are constantly declaring that they are correct and that they are intellectually superior to those who believe in a God.

That is patently wrong, in the same way that it is equally as wrong for those who believe in a God to claim that they are intellectually superior.

You either believe or you don't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That is her choice .
Charles would have taken over any time this last 30 years.
I know. I understand he's dying to do that, given the chance. However, Liz made an oath to conduct her duties for as long as she was able and is sticking to that, supported by Phil of course.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top