Join for free
Page 46 of 239 « First < 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 10:35 PM

Re: The Pages of Punch

Being a great fan of the now defunct Punch magazine I have got to comment on how much I've enjoyed this thread. I've got the book which has every Punch cartoon ever published in it and it goes to show how observations then are still relevant today.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Being a great fan of the now defunct Punch magazine I have got to comment on how much I've enjoyed this thread. I've got the book which has every Punch cartoon ever published in it and it goes to show how observations then are still relevant today.
Thank you Judd. I look forward to seeing some comments on the issues raised by these cartoons. Everyone is welcome!

---------------

1917: Who Are The Real Soldiers?

On the left we see soldiers as they were usually seen in peacetime: swaggering in their fancy uniforms with all sorts of extra embellishments. On the right we see soldiers just returned from the trenches. What they are wearing and carrying convey no glamour at all but is essential for effective soldiering in time of war.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2015, 09:12 AM

1917: Too Ill to See the Doctor?

I perceive here a cynical barb at the medical profession. The books reveal that the lady has not been to see the doctor for quite a while. This is not good for the financial health of the practice. No doubt routine visits will now resume. This suggests (to me, anyway) that this doctor usually sees patients who are not seriously ill.
Mr Magoo
London

27-11-2015, 10:37 AM

1917: A Deadly Gamble

Various ‘political’ drawings appeared in Punch in 1917. They generally try to be upbeat about the progress of the war and with hindsight we can see that are hopelessly optimistic. By contrast this one can now be seen to be particularly perceptive.

The Kaiser’s broken sword on the floor is rather excessive. In February 1917 the German army was by no means defeated. Because of the impasse on the Western Front both sides were trying to prevent the other from importing essential goods - notably food. Because the Royal Navy massively outnumbered its German opponent the British blockade was much more effective than the German effort.

The German blockade had been essentially conducted by U-boats. This campaign had been hampered by considerations of neutrality – especially American neutrality. By February 1917 the German High Command had decided to risk America coming into the war by announcing that they would sink all ships bound for Britain, irrespective of country of origin. The cartoon correctly describes this policy as a gamble – could Britain be starved into submission before American troops would arrive in vast numbers on the Western Front? Woodrow Wilson did indeed declare war on German as a direct result of this policy.

In spite of the Russian revolutions later in 1917 eventually enabling the Kaiser to switch his armies from the East to the West by late 1918 two factors had convinced the German High Command that the war was lost. Firstly the Allied blockade had caused food shortages severe enough to cause spontaneous food riots all over Germany. The rioters made it clear that they no longer cared who won or lost the war. They wanted it to end. The other was indeed the vast numbers of American soldiers arriving on the Western Front. Unlike the British, French and German armies these soldiers were fresh and eager for battle.

As this cartoon had predicted the Kaiser had lost his gamble.
Mr Magoo
London

28-11-2015, 10:54 AM

1917: Kicked Upstairs

There is a bit of subversion going on here. We can see for ourselves that the corporal cannot control the men. They are laughing at him when they are not actually ignoring him.

The sergeant is telling the officer that this doesn’t matter because the corporal is going to become an officer himself. It seems that the sergeant doesn’t have much respect for officers in general.
Mr Magoo
London

29-11-2015, 11:06 AM

1917: Staying Within the Rules

Bobby has discovered a way of continuing to be a rebel while appearing to conform. His prayers clearly won’t satisfy his mama.

It is reassuring to note that in a time of intense patriotism this little act of defiance is seen as just a joke.
Mr Magoo
London

30-11-2015, 10:38 AM

1917: The Logic of the ‘Lower Orders’

Mrs Bloggs feels that the Vicar must surely understand that it is essential to answer back. The Vicar, of course, doesn’t.
Mr Magoo
London

01-12-2015, 10:33 AM

1917: Boring For Britain

The calculated put-down clearly seems to have been deserved. We can observe an example of how the ‘great and the good’ seemed to have spent their time during the ‘Great War’.
Mr Magoo
London

02-12-2015, 10:38 AM

1917: Which is the More Acceptable Spouse?

A very well observed scene by the incomparable George Belcher. I can think of modern couples about whom such remarks are also true.
Mr Magoo
London

03-12-2015, 10:34 AM

1917: Food Shortages

By this time the U-boat menace was seriously affecting food supplies coming into the country. An increasing number of Punch cartoons were reflecting this problem. As this cartoon demonstrates people really were ‘all in this together’.

Page 46 of 239 « First < 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top