Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 06:09 PM

3D Radar

When I was a radar instructor at RMCS, the target was "seen" once per aerial rotation. Now a supersonic tennis ball can be tracked from 25 km away, and drones followed too. See this for interest.

http://www.aveillant.com
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 06:53 PM

Re: 3D Radar

That's interesting Dobra

My late husband had connections with Radar too and was seconded from RMCS to the RSRE.
I don't want to give to much away on a public site .
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 10:54 PM

I thought they nowadays had things called " phased arrays " where the antenna doesn't physically move but the transmitted and received wave fronts move because of variations in the timings between the individual radar transmitter receiver units?

I read your link Dobra and I suppose it is all down to the sophisticated high speed computer processing used and the even more sophisticated mathematics underlying it.

In medical MRI scanning for example the actual detectors are just one or perhaps 4 simple coils and a single voltage on each. But that combined with the data on the magnetic pulses being transmitted during the scan enables a huge amount of data to be extracted. Very probably the name of that chappie Fourier and his transform is involved or at least I know it is in medical imaging.

If that seems difficult to comprehend then just think that the signal coming down to your digital TV is a single instantaneous varying voltage but the clever processing over time can yield a huge amount of data!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That's interesting Dobra

My late husband had connections with Radar too and was seconded from RMCS to the RSRE.
I don't want to give to much away on a public site .
Hi

A Bond Girl no less.

I shall now refer to you as Ms Moneypenny

I do hope that you bought shares in them when they were privatised.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A Bond Girl no less.

I shall now refer to you as Ms Moneypenny

I do hope that you bought shares in them when they were privatised.
More like Ms Penniless Gibbs
Shares in the 'Q' place, I wish.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 11:45 PM

Hi

Thank you for that Dobra.

Stealth Planes, well the technology is 30 years old and now easily tracked.

It does make you wonder what the military have up their sleeves now though.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top