Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 11:32 PM

Re: Photo tips and tricks.

I've had to do this a few times when flash batteries have died on along job. I just shot a little wider then cropped out the shadow.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Pictures constantly out of focus using a DSLR camera? why not fine tune ,like a piano, to get a sharper picture.

You will need a target such as a spyderlenscal to adjust to correct focus

This is set in the camera to +7 so not that far off the zero line to correct
this bit of kit helps with back/front focus problems
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 04:58 PM

Nom, you were correct in our very first line of the starter post, when you said .....

I know that members ask occasionally for help with photography. Often the answers can go down the the technical side.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Nom, you were correct in our very first line of the starter post, when you said .....

I know that members ask occasionally for help with photography. Often the answers can go down the the technical side.

Both aspects matter Mups, im not qualified enough to talk about the tech side, though i understand more than the basics, the more you learn the more there is to know.

A bit at a time is the way to go for me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 06:51 PM

Nothing technical about a camera and lens being out of focus all the time. they are built to a tolerance.
It is knowing not having to send the camera away to correct it and discovering how to DIY .

Do you get a flat pack bit of furniture and just wonder how it fits together? no, you find out how. You get the right tools and assemble it..

Same with The above if out of focus, get the kit and correct it, nothing technical in that.
If there is then you shouldn't have a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera (DSLR), in my opinion, which this photo refers to and stick with a compact point and shoot one

I could go further and say it is no good even getting a DSLR camera if you don't know which lens you want to put on it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-01-2018, 07:22 PM

I often get asked "which camera should I get". What a wide question that is and no definitive answer.

So I usually go down this route to answer it.

1 What is your budget including memory cards (memory cards a subject
on their own).

2 Do you want a simple point and shoot or one with interchangable lenses?
no good saying do you want a DSLR camera it conveys nothing

3 don't decide on a make until comparing say any 3 in a price bracket
with other makes

4 Once decided on a make go to a camera shop and try the chosen ones
out. Maybe one isn't comfortable in the hand, or the menu is too hard
to understand

5 Have a look a the the price of lenses for DSLR cameras ,same focal
length but can vary immensely depending on various factors.

6 Try and understand about memory cards. You can get one that has a
high memory capacity (GB) and very cheap. There is a reason and
that is they more than lightly have a slow transfer rate of shot from
camera to card cause a blockage. So look for MB/s (megabytes per
second), higher the faster I prefer 90mb's on my cards or more
. Also the group 10 inside a circle is better than a 4.
All the information should be on the card if in doubt ask

Just a few very quick pointer I mention when asked

Ok that is from an official retailer BUT

There is an alternative in getting a new camera

THAT IS what is called the "Grey " market

This is where exactly the same cameras and lenses are sold but not through official dealers. Careful choice of seller is important, if in doubt as on a forum such as this or a photographic one ask first.

Most "grey " imports may well be send back to seller for warranty repair against going through main dealer repairers
Nothing wrong in that. I actually bought my Nikon D810 via this method and saved about up to £1000 against main dealer prices. best take out insurance

Then of course there is the second hand market

So what to watch out for?

first of all I would say shutter count. A high shutter count usually means most of the camera "life" is used up and expensive repairs like new shutter mechanism may be needed

Compare it with a car. A car can look all shiny outside but if the engine is knackered then the car is useless.

There are bargains to be had from main dealers selling part exchange and they add on there profit margin or via an internet auction site.
The third way is from a dedicated camera site where members have a genuine reason for selling and have a reputation to keep up on that site.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Pictures constantly out of focus using a DSLR camera? why not fine tune ,like a piano, to get a sharper picture.

You will need a target such as a spyderlenscal to adjust to correct focus

This is set in the camera to +7 so not that far off the zero line to correct
this bit of kit helps with back/front focus problems
That looks like a nice bit of kit, but rather expensive.With due respect Bazza, not all cameras have the AF fine tuning capabilities, especially older models. Here is a list, which is not exhaustive :
https://www.mtdhelp.com/hc/en-us/art...0-22-Oct-2017-
Of course, you also know that every lens that you own for your camera, has to be ' fine tuned ' to suit.
As you know, there are other ways of fine tuning your camera / lens, which, although time consuming, are cheaper / free.
Good subject though and worth finding out.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-01-2018, 11:07 PM

that cost around £50, not that expensive in photographic terms
Steve if your ever over my way come in and borrow it or bring what you want calibrated and do it from here I have tripods so no need to bring them
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Nothing technical about a camera and lens being out of focus all the time. they are built to a tolerance.
It is knowing not having to send the camera away to correct it and discovering how to DIY .

Do you get a flat pack bit of furniture and just wonder how it fits together? no, you find out how. You get the right tools and assemble it..

Same with The above if out of focus, get the kit and correct it, nothing technical in that.
If there is then you shouldn't have a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera (DSLR), in my opinion, which this photo refers to and stick with a compact point and shoot one
With due respect Bazza, that's not the way to get people interested in getting away from ' point and shoot ' cameras and towards the wonderful world of DSLR's. Not everyone is as technically minded as you and with a little guidance, can stride towards taking ' that shot '

I could go further and say it is no good even getting a DSLR camera if you don't know which lens you want to put on it.
Again, with due respect, that is subjective and perhaps, somewhat patronising.
How can anyone know which lens to buy for their newly purchased DSLR when there is a complete minefield of good and not so good information out there? Did you know from day one after buying your first DSLR what genre of photos that you wanted to aspire to? Did it come with a lens in the package? Were you satisfied with that lens? Did you buy another one to satiate your desire to improve your skills? Why did you upgrade to the D810? Why have you got so many lenses and what do you use them for? Can you use those lenses for more than one subject matter? Would you ever consider using a long lens for landscapes?
It's over to you fella, I'm out of here.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 12:31 AM

Good post, Gasman.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top