Join for free
Page 143 of 370 « First < 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 145 153 193 243 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 08:48 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Granny J ->
I try to walk a few miles a day.
Today I've done a 5 miles one, though sometimes they are shorter.
I walk with a walking for health group once a week, but their walks are no longer than two and a half miles.
I tried the gym, but found it rather boring.
I enjoy walking on my own. I listen to music from my mobile, and sometimes dramas I've downloaded.
GrannyJ that could be me!!
I love walkng on my own.
My walking for health group is about 3 miles each week, this week it's going to be 5 + but I'm determined to give it a go!
Soon I'm intending to resume swimming again.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 08:50 PM

Five miles is five miles no matter how you manage it when your feet are touching the ground, so I have to add my admiration, Granny J.

Norm Al.......AKA OGF, AKA Bob, etc. , the everyday days are the ones we count on, with the outliers - long and even failed ones... are the ones that really don't define how we picture ourselves overall. There is nothing more satisfying than a normal, solid run in terms of pace and distance. It has to feel great to start stringing these runs like beads on a string!

That's quite a running/cycling friend you have there, OGF. I wonder whether or not I could have managed it a couple of decades ago? I have all the respect in the world for long distance runners because of the mind/body war that has to be won to accomplish such an event. It's wonderful that your friend is still out there, and I do know how you feel .

While I am hoping that cycling will also be my "Sport of Last Resort" when my joints will no longer cooperate, but today I squeezed in another five miles slathered in suntan lotion and running the trails with the air thick with the aroma of pine sap and jasmine. This is the quiet before the storm of summer, so I was happy to see many creatures out there including one I will post about here in a while...but the phone has just rung and I am off on an important errand...

Any guesses on what creature I might see that would be worthy of posting?

Back soon and good things to everyone in the movement department .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
GrannyJ that could be me!!
I love walkng on my own.
My walking for health group is about 3 miles each week, this week it's going to be 5 + but I'm determined to give it a go!
Soon I'm intending to resume swimming again.
Don't you find that when walking solo you take in more of the sights and sounds of your surroundings Ruthio...Sometimes when I've walked with a group I can't even remember where I've been.....

And walking with Mrs Fox, she just reminds me of all the jobs waiting to be done....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That's quite a running/cycling friend you have there, OGF. I wonder whether or not I could have managed it a couple of decades ago? I have all the respect in the world for long distance runners because of the mind/body war that has to be won to accomplish such an event. It's wonderful that your friend is still out there, and I do know how you feel .

While I am hoping that cycling will also be my "Sport of Last Resort" when my joints will no longer cooperate, but today I squeezed in another five miles slathered in suntan lotion and running the trails with the air thick with the aroma of pine sap and jasmine. This is the quiet before the storm of summer, so I was happy to see many creatures out there including one I will post about here in a while...but the phone has just rung and I am off on an important errand...

Any guesses on what creature I might see that would be worthy of posting?

Back soon and good things to everyone in the movement department .
Alligator?

Ha ha ha.. That just reminded me about a game of Scrabble I was playing with Mrs Fox while on holiday last year...I'd just picked up enough points to win the game by placing 'Aligator' across a triple word square, when some sharp eyed hotel guest reminded me that there were two l's in 'Alligator'...
Why don't people mind their own business?....

Now let me see, back to the homework.......I know.....Flamingo?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-04-2018, 09:24 PM

I almost forgot to mention the outcome of my 'brush' with the dentist today..
After poking a very sore gum with a sharp stick I was prescribed a week's worth of antibiotics....Job done....
There is a God, and today he was doing dental work in Doncaster....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 04:02 AM

Ruthio, I think you posted at the same time I did so I missed your note somehow. How wonderful that you are giving five miles a go. The big question is whether or not you will find enough to chat about for that long . Given your descriptions of your other outings, it sounds like great fun. Let us know how you do!

OGF may not have won Scrabble, but he did win this little riddle! Here is the al(l)igator* that crossed my path today. Luckily, one of the other trail regulars rode up behind me (nearly scaring me to death), and took a photo that he was kind enough to let me share. This mother gator has three babies that are all about a foot long. We were a lot farther away than this photo indicates; I respect her and she graciously lets me run her neighborhood .

* But what of this truth! OGF cheats at Scrabble. Tsk, tsk, tsk....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-04-2018, 10:08 AM

I would imagine that there are a lot of one legged cyclists where you live Surfermom. Runners who have taken to cycling after falling foul of the local Gator population....Although those scary dogs at that farm I run past could give me a serious gnawing....

As for the cheating at scrabble; The several gin and tonics I supplied didn't do the trick so I had to resort to other means....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-04-2018, 04:49 AM

Haha, yes there may be one or two peg-leg-former-runners here and there, a risk worth taking for these trails...

But because I am happy having both feet firmly attached, I opted for a late day beach run today, especially because the tide was low leaving a wide, firm surface to put 2.5 miles behind me before turning back to watch the sun slowly set to the west.

A neighbor noted something that I hadn't ever thought about, and that is that tend to run as closely to the water as possible, without ever getting my running shoes wet. I suppose that after a decade or more running beaches, I have learned to automatically sense, hear, or catch in my periphery those waves that are more inclined to push ashore farther than others. While that means I do a fair amount of quick turns and dashes, it allows me to avoid the especially soft sand - lazy, I am - and still keep my feet dry.

The downside to shore running is that there is almost always a slope which puts angular pressure one one knee more than the other. While it isn't damaging to run the beach a couple of days per week, done daily through a few seasons it can wreak havoc on my knees. Besides enjoying as many different places as I can, as there is always something new to see, those slopes prevent me from the singular best running experience there is.

This irritable joint business that comes with age is for the birds. Fortunately, knees, hips, and ankles are all in good moods lately...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Sounds like an idyllic run Surfermom, but didn't I read somewhere that running on soft surfaces, especially sand, tends to cause Achilles problems? Something to do with pushing off and overstretching it. I suppose it's not so bad when running on the firm stuff close to the sea.... Do you ever find unusual things washed up on the beach?

So today was my third run in the 'Hope to run for the rest of my life' series...
The weather was amazing, warm (16 C) and no wind, other than the draft I made while I swiftly moved along the canal towpath with the speed of a Cheetah....
With my body bathed in warm spring sunshine, I pondered on two things: The first was that this weather would not be all that unusual in Florida (minus the alligators and beach of course) and the second was....I'm terribly overdressed...... (The smilie is not crying but sweating)...Use your imagination!

It was still like running the last three miles of a marathon... But most of the stiffness has subsided and I felt marginally better than Tuesdays stagger. In fact it was thirty seconds faster..... But I'd still have been a long way behind the 'Floridian Flash'...

On with the show now because in just one months time some blokes are coming to put in a new kitchen. I stupidly volunteered to remove the old one and take care of any electrical wiring that needed doing (changing from a gas hob to an Induction hob) there are tiles to remove and walls to plaster. Although I found out years ago that among my many skills, plastering is not one of them, so I'll get someone in... I only mention this because while under the scrutiny of Mrs Fox (The Project Manager) I might not be able to post with the frequency I've become accustomed....Although Running will continue as normal, I can assure you of that....

Anyway...........Where's Floydy?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-04-2018, 02:55 PM

I checked in right away to see if you had pulled off a third in the series, OGF. Please to hear of your success!

The day is calling, and I will report later once I've made another go at it, but please take pictures, OGF for the DIY section, and good luck with the boss. When it comes to kitchens, we females tend to have...

opinions.

Page 143 of 370 « First < 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 145 153 193 243 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top