Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Gunpowder

Well it was dramatic and horrific for sure. Apart from the torture scenes I thoroughly enjoyed it and will watch the whole series
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 12:43 PM

Re: Gunpowder

I do not normally watch historical plays, but as much of the gunpowder plot originates from this area I have a particular interest. I know all of the places mentioned last night. When I was a child I lived in the village where the plotters awaited news from London. My greatest school friend lived in the house the plotters used and I clearly remember playing upstairs where the walls were so uneven, and leaning, with all the wooden beams. In fact it is called Guy Falkes House now, but was originally an Inn. I also used to visit friends in Ashby St Legers, which was mentioned last night. Coincidentally, my mother and stepfather lived in Catesby Road.

So, as you see, lots of local interest. Goodness, what brutal times they were.

If you Google Guy Falkes House, you can see it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 02:27 PM

I was going to watch it but Nathan watched it last night and said I wouldn't like it, too much gore for me he said. So I'll give it a miss I think.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 04:39 PM

I watched this 1st episode and will continue to watch the rest.
I did find the cruel and sadistic execution scenes horrific and difficult to watch, though I think it was important to show some cruel acts of persecution, as they are so integral to the mindset and subsequent actions of Catesby and his co-Conspirators - it has so much more impact to see them being re-enacted in detail, rather than just glossing over the gory bits.

I have read a similar (historically factual) account of a woman who was crushed to death in exactly the same manner as the programme portrayed, in similar circumstances, only it happened some 20 years earlier, under the reign of Elizabeth - and the victim was only 30 years old, with 3 young children, and pregnant with her 4th child when she was crushed to death.
Her name was Margaret Clitherow and she lived in York, where there is still a shrine near her former home in The Shambles. I have visited her shrine when showing visitors around York and read her story a few times but the visual on-screen image last night brought me to tears - it really brought home just how cruel and savage humans can be.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Clitherow
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 04:44 PM

The torture and violence don't bother me - it's only acting! What did irritate me was the mumbling into beards and whispering dialogue. I could do with sub titles. It's Wolf Hall all over again, SO maddening.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Women were burned at the stake for treason rather than being hanged to protect their modesty (of all things). The woman in last night's programme would not have been stripped at her execution for the same reason. The stone put under her back was to make the execution quicker in that it fractures the spine.

Execution in this manner (pressing) is also an attempt to get the victim to confess their crime but doing so would have made them guilty and any land or properties they owned would have been forfeited to the crown and their families evicted.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Horrendous
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Holy shit! So glad I didn't watch it.
Just can't stomach barbarism and cruelty. Yuk.
Don't care what anyone says, you don't have to see to know.
Sex, torture, cruelty, rape, executions, burning at stake, crushing...
I don't need to see to know.
Knowing is enough!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Holy shit! So glad I didn't watch it.
Just can't stomach barbarism and cruelty. Yuk.
Don't care what anyone says, you don't have to see to know.
Sex, torture, cruelty, rape, executions, burning at stake, crushing...
I don't need to see to know.
Knowing is enough!
But it all happened in the name of God

Just all depended on whose book you chose to believe
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
But it all happened in the name of God

Just all depended on whose book you chose to believe
Instead of Holy Shit!! I should've said In the name of God!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top