Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:14 PM

Re: Teaching Brexit

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We don't know what the pro-brexit mob want next, but I don't think it's equal airtime for all ideas. But if you can't see the problem with a biased politician writing to universities to question their teaching then I can't help you.
The pro brexit mob ? All we want is our country and to free ourselves from Eu and the right to educate our kids that there are always two sides to everyone argument. Unlike the remainers who want to control what they are taught and want to give the country to Europe. Our soldiers who fought in two world wars would be so disappointed in us giving up and handing it over to Europe after what they had to give up to save Europe !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The government are 100% right to challenge this and look into it. The situation is clearly despicable and a number of key university professors and lecturers have completely abused their privileged positions.
Any changes to education approaches have to be agreed by all. Not some random MP. Have the Government challenged universities? I was under the impression that universities are independent and decide on what they teach. Oxford goes back almost 1,000 years, Cambridge 800. I doubt either gives two hoots about what the press or voters think. And why should they? They add a great deal to the international value of Britain and you can hardly say they are stupid!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The pro brexit mob ? All we want is our country and to free ourselves from Eu and the right to educate our kids that there are always two sides to everyone argument. Unlike the remainers who want to control what they are taught and want to give the country to Europe. Our soldiers who fought in two world wars would be so disappointed in us giving up and handing it over to Europe after what they had to give up to save Europe !
The "pro-brexit mob" is a group of people in the media, politics, business and press who publicly howl about and try to stifle any opposing view. Labelling anyone who tries to state that the emperor has no clothes with rude terms and creating emotional propaganda to stoke brexit-mania. Now resorting to checking for remain sympathisers akin to the zeal with which McCarthyists looked for reds under the bed. I wonder how long it will be before being pro-remain will become a crime?

Don't forget that the two world wars united Europeans against a common foe, to save Europe. Europe is not our enemy. Don't pretend it is.

I was in France this week. The French were all really kind and polite to us. I got the feeling they felt sorry for us because of what's happening here now.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:38 PM

We don't know what the pro-brexit mob want next, but I don't think it's equal airtime for all ideas. But if you can't see the problem with a biased politician writing to universities to question their teaching then I can't help you.
It always amazes me how intolerant and disparaging the 'liberal' left is of an alternative POV. Pro Brexiters are not a mob. They are a perfectly valid and coherent constituency. A constituency that is the Majority, lest you forget.

Also, all politicians are 'biased' not just the ones you don't agree with and we should hope our politicians are able, capable and vigilant enough to ensure our academics are not promulgating an agenda that protects their vested interests over the students' right to a balanced, unbiased and freethinking academic experience.

The idea that teachers and academics are beyond scrutiny is the most chilling aspect of this whole issue!!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 10:50 PM

The "pro-brexit mob" is a group of people in the media, politics, business and press who publicly howl about and try to stifle any opposing view. Labelling anyone who tries to state that the emperor has no clothes with rude terms and creating emotional propaganda to stoke brexit-mania. Now resorting to checking for remain sympathisers akin to the zeal with which McCarthyists looked for reds under the bed. I wonder how long it will be before being pro-remain will become a crime?

Don't forget that the two world wars united Europeans against a common foe, to save Europe. Europe is not our enemy. Don't pretend it is.

I was in France this week. The French were all really kind and polite to us. I got the feeling they felt sorry for us because of what's happening here now.
Absolute Sh*te.

Not one single person has ever claimed Europe is an enemy. That is just ridiculous.
The World Wars didn't unite Europe . It split Europe in half, spread across the world and killed 60+million people.

The French always feel sorry for us due to the smug and sanctimonious nature of the French mindset, despite them being a virtual irrelevance in World affairs for decades.

Your talk of McCarthyism says more about the state of your sense of victimhood than any relevant reality. What goes on in your head ?? You worry about hunting Reds under the beds when, for the past 18 months, You Remoaners have been hunting Xenophobes in the Wardrobes, lol!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

It always amazes me how intolerant and disparaging the 'liberal' left is of an alternative POV. Pro Brexiters are not a mob. They are a perfectly valid and coherent constituency. A constituency that is the Majority, lest you forget.
Of course they are a mob, constantly howling and baying for blood of remain voters. It's clear in all the pro-brexit press today. They won't be happy until all Remain voters' heads are displayed on sticks by the Tower! An alternative point of view is simply not allowed to be aired. It's either agree with "leave" or "leave the planet".

Also, all politicians are 'biased' not just the ones you don't agree with and we should hope our politicians are able, capable and vigilant enough to ensure our academics are not promulgating an agenda that protects their vested interests over the students' right to a balanced, unbiased and freethinking academic experience.
Which is exactly why individual politicians should not be poking their nose into a university. Universities are independent bodies. Why not just admit that what you actually want is an environment that's unbalanced in favour of Brexit?

The idea that teachers and academics are beyond scrutiny is the most chilling aspect of this whole issue!!
Teachers no, but academics in independent institutions that are as old as the country itself are another issue. It really depends on whether you value that independence or want to stifle it in a nazi-esque or Stalin-esque way. Easy to be blind to what you are doing if you are on an emotional mob-fuelled political rampage.
Moscow
Scotland

26-10-2017, 11:15 PM

Universities can be as Independent as they like if they are not taking public money.

If they are taking public money they have to adhere to the values of the society they are sponging off. Therefore I put society's values of an unbiased, balanced and freethinking space for students to explore all issues fully over the Universities independence to indoctrinate them to support their self interested and indulgent political outlook.

And you really should stop winding yourself up about mobs of Brexiteers as the only mobs I've seen are those pathetic groups of Remoaners waving EU flags outside Westminster.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 11:25 PM

I'd like a definition of "indoctrination" in comparison to "doctrination"

Seems that one is right and the other is wrong. So, which is which?

Bear in mind that our political and educational leaders have themselves been led down a path, of which they are now either pro or anti advocates.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Absolute Sh*te.

Not one single person has ever claimed Europe is an enemy. That is just ridiculous.
The World Wars didn't unite Europe . It split Europe in half, spread across the world and killed 60+million people.

The French always feel sorry for us due to the smug and sanctimonious nature of the French mindset, despite them being a virtual irrelevance in World affairs for decades.

Your talk of McCarthyism says more about the state of your sense of victimhood than any relevant reality. What goes on in your head ?? You worry about hunting Reds under the beds when, for the past 18 months, You Remoaners have been hunting Xenophobes in the Wardrobes, lol!!
The World wars happened because Europe was not united, the way some would like to see it again. Prior to cooperation between nations we had constant warfare since Europe was formed. Europe is now united but many here want to go back in time.

The French are hardly irrelevant. They have left their mark on half the planet just as Britain did. Unlike us they have huge influence in the EU, influence that we should have had, but we could not be bothered.

Mccarthyism is an appropriate metaphor for what has happened in the university witch-hunt. Are you saying leave voters are xenophobic?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 11:32 PM

Teachers no, but academics in independent institutions that are as old as the country itself are another issue.
Not entirely sure as to what "independent" means. Oxford was, is and never will be "independent" in the truest sense, having being established for religious and thus political direction. A leopard can never change its spots.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top