Join for free
Page 158 of 274 « First < 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 11:54 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No.291: "Inform - Educate - Entertain" by Public Service Broadcasting (2012)
We have already spoken about PSB at length in the early days of this thread, mostly courtesy of Nom who advised me of much other material that was previously available by this very innovative band.
Like watching old television warning clips, the band set their music to such famous advertisements from the UK government watchdog like some kind of early day Neighbourhood Watch or propaganda leaflet issued by the political correctness brigade.
But that was not their intention. We do have some of that involved amongst their unique ideals and brilliant stage performances where they turn up very neatly dressed in shirt and tie with schoolboy boffin specs, but mostly it's electronic music which is adaptable to the original events of the narration; the space race, the war room, etc. Here are but three examples of their craft from this superb album:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 12:03 AM

No.290: "Chicago Transit Authority" by Chicago Transit Authority (1969)
Long before all the professional slush and mush of 'If You Leave Me Now' and the name change to simply Chicago happened, CTA (we shall refer to them as) were a sublime jazz-rock band who appeared on the scene at the end of the 19060's with this undoubted masterpiece of an album. It's a record I've been playing quite often over the past few years; it's very long, has some extremely intricately written songs in it and I just love it. Like Steely Dan before they were even thought of. If you have never heard this splendid record, you must invest in a copy immediately.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 12:10 AM

I've just gone and bought that Chicago album on CD from Amazon as I finished writing about it. I was so excited about it again. £3.16 free p&p, can't beat that lol!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 12:20 AM

No.289: "Psychedelic Pill" by Neil Young & Crazy Horse (2012)
Who in their right mind would begin their new album with a song that is nigh on 28 minutes long? Well only Neil Young would. Because he can and he will. He can do whatever he wants, can he not? And he does.
If you have never heard this double album - and it's not from the heady days of the early seventies, it's from bloody 2012! - you must do so. Play the videos below. he rants, he raves, he delivers timeless music and brilliantly observational lyrics and keeps up with the times...although he rails against what's happening like the grumpy old bugger of yore he always has been.
But this album is fantastic! The songs below are VERY long, but you will find them amazing. I promise you and this is the best album of the decade so far IMO, excepting Bowie's swansong that is!.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 12:28 AM

No.288: "Inflammable Material" by Stiff Little Fingers (1979)
Arriving too late to be part of the UK punk 'movement', three years too late in fact, SLF nevertheless thrust this terrifically bile-laden, incendiary-wrought release onto the streets of HNV mid '79 to an eager bunch of post-punk washouts who were swift to lap up its anger and ire contained therein. The two singles (released much earlier than this debut album in fact) were as good as anything The Clash, The Damned and definitely those pretend punks the sex Pistols could ever throw upon us. You know why? because Stiff Little Fingers were from Belfast and they knew what what they were talking about.

Hell, I'm getting into this now! Hope you're enjoying these classic folks. One more and I really must turn in for the night...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 12:40 AM

So the last from me tonight. Sleep well...and good morning PSmith!

No.287: "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" by Paul Simon (1973)
Paul Simon never disappoints. One of the greatest songsmiths ever, he released this, his second solo album in mid '73 to universal acclaim and his solo career really took off. Three videos from the album here: The beautiful reggae-tinged single 'Take Me To The Mardi Gras' followed by my favourite of all Paul Simon tracks 'American Tune' and a later live recording of the first song on the album 'Kodachrome' taken from Simon & Garfunkel's legendary Concert in Central Park from 1981. Enjoy this latest instalment folks. Back sometime Sunday with another from John Lee.

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 02:36 AM

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night to you.
Once again Floydy this thread has managed to inform,educate and entertain.That Chicago album is a revelation.I want it now.

Back in Black is said to have sold over 50 million copies.That has always seemed it a bit iffy to me.That's a lot of records.Anyway, the irony is they did it without their most charismatic singer.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 05:40 AM

Still following, Floydy. This is a fascinating contribution to the forum and it has me not only listening to the links but digging around in Youtube to find a few other old favorites. Most appreciated!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Good morning/afternoon/evening/night to you.
Once again Floydy this thread has managed to inform,educate and entertain.That Chicago album is a revelation.I want it now.

Back in Black is said to have sold over 50 million copies.That has always seemed it a bit iffy to me.That's a lot of records.Anyway, the irony is they did it without their most charismatic singer.
Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Still following, Floydy. This is a fascinating contribution to the forum and it has me not only listening to the links but digging around in Youtube to find a few other old favorites. Most appreciated!
Morning each of you, all, everyone else!
I keep going to back to Chicago's first too and I'm looking forward to my new CD copy after playing it on an old tape copy which I transferred to MP3 years ago. It's a stunning record. new one has extra tracks too apparently

Back In Black is a great album and unfairly I think Brian Johnston gets the rough end of the stick when it comes to comparing he and Bob Scott together. I think he was every bit as good, it's just a lot of the later songs were not so popular as the earlier stuff. Both great singers in their own right.

Surfermom - Thanks for you kind words. It is a hassle and a trawl sometimes keeping this thread going, but it's also a joy when certain albums crop up that I've been waiting to write about. The most important thing here though is the response of the members who contribute - it makes doing this project so much more worthwhile.

Stand by for an early session with the next batch in a few moments time...as I also need to bang in a session at the gym too later on - and I'll see you in that other thread later, Surfermom!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 10:22 AM

No.286: "Mr. Lucky" by John lee Hooker (1991)
Following on from John Lee's very successful The healer album two years previously whereby he teamed up with other legendary bluesmen and rock guitarists, they did another project just as good. many big name acts contributed including Ry Cooder, Robert Cray, Van Morrison and more on songs old and new.

Page 158 of 274 « First < 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top