Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:18 PM

Are Accusations going too far now?

Leaving aside the Presidents Club current scandal, is it me or are the complaints by women now going too far? To complain about sexual harrassment when a man puts a hand on ones shoulder or arm, or an arm around the waist whilst in a social environment, to my mind is now way over the top. A friendly gesture is way different to a "groping".

My boss frequently rested his hand on my shoulder when looking at something on my computer, neither he nor I gave it a second thought. In a social setting he would give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek, again it was just a friendly gesture.

What do others think, is society OTT?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Re: Are Accusations going too far now?

Difficult this one CeeCee. I think the men were putting their hand's other places. Short skirts on the waitresses, all paraded on the stage!
Mmmm
Maybe it is just the time women are coming forward.
Certainly not over just a hug.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Well I am going out shortly, so a rather quick answer from me.
YES complaints from Women ARE going too far.
I have always been a bit 'touchy feely' and ready to hug and stuff, like a touch on the shoulder or arm and stuff.
NOT in a sexual way at all, but just being friendly.

I think in the long run Women will be the losers in this as Men are frightened off 'chatting up' a Woman or even showing affection for fear of being accused of sexual harassment or abuse.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Do not think people complaint about genuine friendly gestures involving touching. There is an enormous difference between those, which can be very beneficial, to the touching which is very sexual, on any part of the body. I do think it is good that women and men can now not be made to feel somehow bad about asking for their own space in any circumstances. And, yes, women can be just as bad as men in the regard to groping. This horrible club, being mentioned in the current news, do not understand how it could remain a Mens Only club - thought that was against the law these days.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:36 PM

Franbern, mens clubs are still legal, the Masons for instance. Members of my family are Masons, true they do have Ladies evenings etc., but mainly it is for men.

I didn't want this thread to turn into a discussion about the Presidents Club scandal, but just about normal male/female exchanges. Nor was I thinking of the subject of men touching women inappropriately, up the skirt etc. But one now reads in the media such reports as "he put his hand on her knee" etc.

Women crying "Wolf" will only lessen the impact of genuine sexual harrassment in my opinion.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:38 PM

Sorry, CeeCee.
Yes, too many women are crying wolf over nothing.
Nothing wrong with a hug in my books.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 12:41 PM

I feel sorry for women with genuine claims because they get mixed in with all the silliness.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 01:01 PM

If it is something that happened in the last few days and a woman comes forward I would take it more seriously than someone who gets on the bandwagon of women reporting a minor hug or kiss that happened 20 years ago.

Men like my husband who was in supervision are now wondering if a harmless gesture will come back to haunt them years later.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 01:06 PM

I'm not a touchy feely sort so have spoken up over the years to say please don't touch me. I've rarely had anyone react badly so it's puzzling to me why many haven't just said no. But times are changing its not ok any more.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not a touchy feely sort so have spoken up over the years to say please don't touch me. I've rarely had anyone react badly so it's puzzling to me why many haven't just said no. But times are changing its not ok any more.
What kind of situation were you in where you felt you had to respond with “ please don’t touch me “?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top