Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 03:04 AM

Do you always log out?

After being on a forum do you log off the site?
Is there any reason why it's necessary, meaning we always have to log in every time?
Who doesn't?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 03:42 AM

Re: Do you always log out?

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
After being on a forum do you log off the site?
Is there any reason why it's necessary, meaning we always have to log in every time?
Who doesn't?
I always log out but my browser remembers my log in details so it is no inconvenience to relog in.

Anyway even if I didn't log out whenever I close the browser itself it deletes all the cookies anyway to that has the same effect as logging out so there is no point in leaving the account open.

There used to be a good reason for always logging out because leaving an account open could lead to hackers taking advantage but I don't know if that still applies.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I always log out but my browser remembers my log in details so it is no inconvenience to relog in.

Anyway even if I didn't log out whenever I close the browser itself it deletes all the cookies anyway to that has the same effect as logging out so there is no point in leaving the account open.

There used to be a good reason for always logging out because leaving an account open could lead to hackers taking advantage but I don't know if that still applies.
That's what I meant, Bruce
If I'm on my PC I'll click the 'x' box at the top of the screen, but I don't log off the site first before I turn off my computer.

Same with my mobile. I'll 'close all programmes' to shut off internet usage.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's what I meant, Bruce
If I'm on my PC I'll click the 'x' box at the top of the screen, but I don't log off the site first before I turn off my computer.

Same with my mobile. I'll 'close all programmes' to shut off internet usage.
That is not necessarily logging out because the cookie may remain on your computer - it depends on how your browser is set up so even if you exit your browser next time you fire it up the cookie is there with details of your log in on a specific site.

Logging out properly is only accomplished by pressing the (Log Out) button below your log in name (Welcome Back Floydy)

In Firefox deleting cookies is not the default setting so you have to change it.

Mobile phones are different and I am not familiar enough with them to know exactly what happens there. Some sites are built into them when you enter your 'Account' details and my phone remembers my log in details for this site anyway but as I always log out I don't know what would happen on my phone if I didn't.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

26-01-2018, 04:04 AM

Actually I also forgot - the site logs me out automatically if there is no activity for a certain period of time because I also never tick the "Keep me logged in" Box.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-01-2018, 04:04 AM

Very interesting Bruce, thanks.
I'll make sure I log off completely in future. Only takes a few seconds to log in again and as you say, the site normally gives a helpful prompt anyway.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 05:31 AM

I usually log out completely unless I get side tracked and I forget. Does staying logged in slow down your browsing? I play scrabble and backgammon a lot so I try not to clutter things up.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 08:42 AM

No I never log out, I can't be bothered to sign in again.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 10:09 AM

I log out quite frequently, but I also go to my browser (Safari) and clear cookies and search history every day.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 10:12 AM

never log out of any forums,it logs out when I go some place else,,i have them on my favourites,just click on that and back in again

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top