Join for free
Page 45 of 46 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Re: Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
But that's why a blanket statement about religion being abuse has caused such a problem for many of us who live with religion in our families and use religious based schools. We are not all the same.
I don't think that I have ever stated that all religions are abusive.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No I didn't mean you had, you are much fairer than that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 01:24 PM

I don't think you have either JBR, but Julie is responding to the people that have. Radical Muslims are seriously abused as children, and this brainwashing lasts throughout their lives.
Julies 2 nephews, who she has looked after for many years, actually chose to follow their fathers religion and they seem to be 2 very balanced boys. She has a family who all have their own views on religion, and that is what makes them so content, because they have been allowed to learn about religions and then make up their own minds.
The point that both she and I have been trying to make, is that children can work things out for themselves, where some posters are trying to tell us that any child,who attends a faith school, is being brainwashed to believe what they are told.
I doubt that anybody would argue that is the case in radical Muslim schools, because there is a fear factor that prevents them rejecting what they are told...... but those kind if schools should never be allowed to exist in Britain or any other civilized country. It seems that most faith schools produce well educated, balanced children who have learned about that schools religion and then have the opportunity to make up their own minds, just like we all did in
ordinary schools a few years ago!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 01:32 PM

That's what I meant about starting to sort out wheat from the chaff, they naturally rebel, look for other answers. Also I think many people remain impressionable for longer than others, but there is nothing anyone can do about that and having a religiously moral compass may actually save some from other influences.

It feels like you have no trust in kids at all they are enormously questioning and seek the truth for themselves. They may pretend for a while to keep parents happy but they don't keep it up long.
That is what I was trying to say a few posts back - but you expressed it more succinctly.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 04:21 PM

No I didn't mean you had, you are much fairer than that.
Julia, you are an excellent judge of character.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 04:40 PM

Julia, you are an excellent judge of character.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 10:08 PM

ALL crap.
Force-feed a child, from toddler onward, in one Sunni/Shiite, CofE/Catholic, Pentecostal, JW, Mormon "faith"
and yes, some will fairly easily adjust in their teens.
Most will struggle.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 02:27 AM

I have a lot of FAITH having been well SCHOOLED that this topic will go on for ever and ever and ever and everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
ALL crap.
Force-feed a child, from toddler onward, in one Sunni/Shiite, CofE/Catholic, Pentecostal, JW, Mormon "faith"
and yes, some will fairly easily adjust in their teens.
Most will struggle.
Is struggle such a bad thing ? In life we all wrestle with things if it takes a hit of a struggle to get to bottom of what you believe it is a good grounding for all the other questions life throws at us.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 12:28 PM

IMO it is education at school and faith at home.
Prevents indoctrination at least for half the day!.

Page 45 of 46 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top