Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 09:37 PM

Re: Is there a book that changed your Life

I've always been an almost obsessive reader. As a child, my parents used to complain that they never saw me as I was either out playing in the fields and woods near our home, or in my bedroom reading. Although we were a pretty poor working class family, as a 9/10 year old, I loved Richmal Crompton's 'Just William' novels which appealed greatly to my natural sense of rebellion. The fact that William came from a wealthy middle class family (they had a 'phone' for goodness sake - and they had a cook and a car!) never really registered at the time - we were brothers in spirit and that was all that mattered. I soon discovered politics through literature and devoured Jack London, George Orwell and a little later, Kurt Vonnegut and Joseph Heller. Between them, their books helped me develop my rebellious but cynical approach to politics. Actual experience has only confirmed my youthful prejudices. Nowadays I don't trust anyone in politics - even those I agree with!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Black Beauty gave me my life long love of horses.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 05:14 PM

I love to read and get through a book a week or so.
However the only book that actually changed my life was my pension book
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I love to read and get through a book a week or so.
However the only book that actually changed my life was my pension book
Do people still have pension books, I thought it was all paid directly into one's bank account these days?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Do people still have pension books, I thought it was all paid directly into one's bank account these days?
It is....I was speaking metaphorically!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2016, 08:02 AM

Several books:

1. Know your MP - a lovely little tome written by Andre Deutsch.

2. Karl Marx's magnum opus - Das Kapital

3. State and Revolution - V.I.Lenin
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2016, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Several books:

1. Know your MP - a lovely little tome written by Andre Deutsch.

2. Karl Marx's magnum opus - Das Kapital

3. State and Revolution - V.I.Lenin
I'm surprised Mao's little red book is not in that list UJ.
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 06:39 PM

For me - One Hundred Greatest Racehorses - it recaptured my great love of the sport
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 07:19 PM

Thank you Baxter8. I can't say that The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropist changed my life, it merely confirmed everything I already believed in and has always been the most important book in my life.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 10:40 PM

I read all the T Lobsang Rampa's in my early twenties and they turned my thinking upside down.

The same with Zecharia Sitchin

In terms of novels, Anne Rice books sit at the top of a very tall pile. Her books are heavy on prose and utterly enchanting ...

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top