Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Food for coming out of hospital

I always seem to get discharged at night, ie. around 8 to 9pm so it's hard to get food at that time.

This time I've got a frozen shepherd's pie and spaghetti bolognese I can have.

It was actually quite hard making sure I had no perishables left in the house before I go into hospital. I didn't want to waste anything, but I've no fruit or milk or anything else that can go off during my stay.

I get quite anxious away from my home even though I am safe in hospital.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 01:09 PM

Re: Food for coming out of hospital

Ffosse, it can’t be easy being discharged during the evening but at least you will have had your evening meal. I always keep a carton of long life milk in my pantry and you can buy part baked bread rolls which don’t need refrigerating, you just pop them in the oven for a few minutes. As for fruit, apparently canned fruit is almost as good as fresh, so how about getting a tin or two of peaches.

Try not to worry, you’re in safe hands.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 01:17 PM

If you have a decent (and large) freezer - keep some ready meals stored in there - Wiltshire Farm Foods prepare cook and freeze meals and will deliver them to you - check out their website!!!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
If you have a decent (and large) freezer - keep some ready meals stored in there - Wiltshire Farm Foods prepare cook and freeze meals and will deliver them to you - check out their website!!!
Yes Joe, VERY good suggestion. I used Wiltshire Farm foods for my Uncle.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Sadly, I've just got the tiny freezer above my fridge. Long life milk is a good suggestion though.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:21 PM

You need chicken soup Ffosse, it is so "healing". It will make you stronger. Get a friend or family to make you a big pot of it with carrots, onions, and celery in it. Have it in individual containers so you can take it out and zap it in the microwave. There is nothing better than chicken soup for a sick person.

Blue x
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 03:33 PM

Ffosse, you said your Sister will be visiting you, can't your Sister buy a few things for you on your last day at Hospital and put them in your Fridge/Freezer for when you come out?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

21-06-2018, 05:51 PM

It's moot now as my procedure was cancelled.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It's moot now as my procedure was cancelled.
How about spending some time 'on-line' , looking for a bigger freezer to enable you to stock it with ready meals from Wiltshire Farm Foods???
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Ffosse

Buy cartons of Alpro Almond Milk. Their shelf life is months and months and they don't need to be refrigerated. When you come back home you can use it in place of milk on breakfast cereals which equally will last ages in your cupboards. You can also use it to make porridge with which is a healthy meal and sustaining.

You could also use it in place of milk in tea/coffee though it might change the taste slightly. Better than that UHT crap though !

Tins of vegetables are of course easy to store and use. So are tins of soups. Lots of options really.

With the above you can come home and have a good breakfast and have something for lunch without having to worry. Then you can go to the shops for proper food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top