Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
HopeFloats
New Member!
United States
HopeFloats is female 

30-11-2016, 12:43 AM

At this age, I think exercise might kill me if I start.

So, I am soon to be 57, really not a fan of exercising. I lost 40 lbs due to having been diagnosed diabetic and that started my motivation to lose another 20. Since my weight has stabilized I need to step it up to make it the next 20 and have decided to go to a class (starts tomorrow). I am so self conscious, will I be the fattest one there? The oldest? Will I be able to keep up or get laughed at if I don't? Unreasonable fears I know but fears never the less. I have stayed away from gyms from fear of skinny chicks in perfect form and outfits. Will I die if I work out after decades of neglect?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 12:49 AM

Re: At this age, I think exercise might kill me if I start.

Hi Sue I would guess at least some of members of the class will feel the same about themselves as you do.
Well done for losing so much weight , that is quite an achievement .

I hope you enjoy the class once you have overcome your initial nervousness.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 12:52 AM

LOL, no, you won't die. Not if you take it slow and do baby steps. I just turned 53 and have hip bursitis and multiple joint pain and some days just walking is an achievement. I think I would benefit from some mild exercise, but I'm too lazy. However, I'm currently in weight loss mode and have lost 20 pounds (1 stone, 6 pounds) without exercising at all.

If you go to classes for whatever reason, don't be self-conscious. Just do it. Do it for you and don't worry about what other people think. I stopped giving a hoot about the 'skinny young chicks' a long time ago. I doubt you'd actually be laughed at. But if you are, who cares? They don't sign your paychecks, they don't cook your meals and you don't have to go home to them at the end of the day. They will only get to you if you let them.

Go in, do your thing and don't worry about the women with 'perfect' bodies. I accepted long ago that I'll never again have the figure I had when I was 25. Although I've seen some women even older than me that look pretty hot for their age, so it can be done, it just takes work. But it's work that I'm not willing to do and I'm okay with that.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 11:32 AM

You are nothing but a spring chicken young as you want to be, plenty ways to keep fit and active, dancing, swimming, and walking. It depends i you want to be solitary or in a group for support when exercising.

Diabetes is a beast so keep on top of it if you can, and you have done well so far to loose those 40LBs. Fun is the key to finding what works for you.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 02:24 PM

Well done you for your weight loss!
The only thing that will kill you in the gym is boredom !
Can't stand them myself for that reason .
Prefer to walk dogs and ride horses ( although this doesn't lead to much weight loss)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 10:43 PM

Well done Hope for taking the first step. Did you know that by exercising and losing some weight that Type Two Diabetes is reversible. Fifty Seven is by no means too old to start exercising, but you must take it very easy and build up gently. You must choose an exercise that you enjoy or you will not keep it up so try a selection:- Gym, Swimming, Walking, Cycling, Dancing, Marathon Running.......Well maybe not Marathon Running, but at 66 I run about 20 miles per week and there are people older than me who can leave me standing.
So find something you enjoy doing Hope and don't look at it as a short term solution more a lifestyle change and you will add years and quality to your life. Best of luck....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 10:56 PM

Hope, as others have just said, you have done brilliantly already, and I am quite sure you will have nothing to fear in your new class.
I am not sure if you meant it is an exercise class/gym, or a slimming club?
Either way, you can be sure you will not be the oldest/slowest/fattest and neither will anyone laugh at you. Everyone there needs help of some sort, else why else would they be there, so they cannot really laugh at you, can they.
Just go, sew what goes on, enjoy yourself, and perhaps make some new friends too.
If the worse came to the worse, and you it isn't quite what you hoped, then just leave and find another one. No one can force you to stay, so try to stop worrying and go with an open mind.

Good luck, and hope to hear how much you enjoyed it very soon.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2016, 01:07 PM

Well done Hope you are a star! My neighbour became ill and put on loads of weight last year. In January she joined a gym and was very nervous about going for the same reasons you stated. But not only has she lost weight but has made friends with a lovely group of ladies. I think she is 68.
What she also did was to start walking, slowly at first and short distances then built up to a quicker pace and a longer distance. I admire her so.
Good luck anyway.
thunderjack
New Member!
Canada
thunderjack is male 

04-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
Well done Hope you are a star! My neighbour became ill and put on loads of weight last year. In January she joined a gym and was very nervous about going for the same reasons you stated. But not only has she lost weight but has made friends with a lovely group of ladies. I think she is 68.
What she also did was to start walking, slowly at first and short distances then built up to a quicker pace and a longer distance. I admire her so.
Good luck anyway.
This is similar to what I see at my local gym too. The ladies all like to group up, chit chat, and workout. They all look like they're having fun while getting some exercise in! Take it slow and go at a pace that is comfortable for you. This will will allow you to not dread going to the gym!
Lisalucky
New Member!
United States
Lisalucky is female 

04-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Take is slow, one day at a time.. it will get easier as you go.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top