Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 10:52 PM

Re: Places of Historical Interest in UK

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Castles you can stay in.. I think some of the Keeps are self catering, you'd have to check them out. Would be fun.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/Sea...yAAEgIBV_D_BwE

http://www.discoverbritainmag.com/romantic-castles/

https://www.celticcastles.com/
They are all so beautiful. I would love to stay in the Celtic Castle (3rd one)
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 10:56 PM

We have a castle in Hamilton, Ontario and one in Toronto, Ontario...that are beautiful, but nothing compared what you peeps would have in your part of the world.

http://casaloma.ca

https://www.hamilton.ca/attractions/...-historic-site
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hi JBR, I will have to look on a map and see where you are from. If I lived there, I'd be sure to tour all of them.
Well, I'm from Yorkshire originally, but when I said 'here' I meant in the UK.

Castles are all over the place but, as I said, I don't know any that offer accommodation.
Perhaps there are some, but others may know more than me.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Puddle Duck I was so disappointed that this thread didn't go further as I really wanted to know about other places in the UK that might be worth visiting this year for either weekend or long weekend breaks.
It would be so nice if posters wrote about their local areas places of interest and things worth going to see, rather than the biased views of the travel companies.

I doubt very much that I will be able to go abroad this year so it would be nice to know about places here in the UK that locals would say are worth a visit.

I am hoping to go and have a look at the Avebury Stone Circle plus I would like to go to Chesil beach or somewhere similar to find some fossils.

I also hope to visit Salisbury Cathedral after reading a couple of historical dramas about the builders of the cathedrals lives.

Does anyone else have any recommendations of interesting places they think I might like to visit this year?
😀
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 04:47 PM

Salisbury Cathedral is a good one Monday!
You can see the original Magna Carta there - fascinating.

The other week whilst staying in Brighton we visited the Royal Pavilion there.
What an an amazing place!

We decided George3rd was the Elvis of his day and this was the Gracelands of its time

So ornate and over the top, but fascinating, and the audio tour is a must.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	pavilionoutside-4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	5661  
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Ah Brighton, haven't been there in a long time. Last time I went was one night about 10 o'clock decided to get up and drive down to Brighton from Northampton. Got there early hours of morning and found a hotel room.
Saw the Pavillion but didn't go in. I will add this on my list for a place to visit this year. If I remember there's little lanes is shops as well
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 05:10 PM

The Lanes are still there, but sadly no longer full of intriguing little independent antique shops, now it's all modern silver bling. I hated that, was disappointed.

But everything else was great, and all easy walking distance, we didn't use the car. Hopped on a bus to get to Seven Sisters etc (no.12x)
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 06:30 PM

@ Mondays Child. I too thought it may have encouraged more places of interest for us.

Still time though.

I don't live near York but have been there. A very worthwhile place to visit and plenty to do within the city. York Minster, River cruise, Museum, Jorvik Centre, National Railway Museum, the Shambles, gardens, and so easy to get around the centre in a pleasant atmosphere.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 10:23 AM

Castle Urquhart on the shores of Loch Ness. When we visited twenty odd years ago, we were the only two people there and it was a bit neglected. Probably different now.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
@ Mondays Child. I too thought it may have encouraged more places of interest for us.

Still time though.

I don't live near York but have been there. A very worthwhile place to visit and plenty to do within the city. York Minster, River cruise, Museum, Jorvik Centre, National Railway Museum, the Shambles, gardens, and so easy to get around the centre in a pleasant atmosphere.
Yes, York is one of my favourite places to visit. As you said, many things worth looking at, but the one off-putting thing for many people is that it can be so very crowded 'in season'.

Many years ago, some relatives from America came to visit and the one thing they wanted to see was York Minster. When I took them there, I suggested they have a look at some other things too, including a walk around (part of) the walls.

They were pretty tired at the end of the day.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top