Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Man with Walls and Ceiling

Man with Walls and Ceilings would like to meet Woman with Roller and Tray.

Please send photo of roller and tray.

If I'm going to stay in my bungalow Im going to need to paint the ceilings and walls, buy new carpet and curtains etc.

I used to do all the DIY jobs myself before but I am not going to be able to do these things for a while.
This is really annoying me but even after a follow up/check up call from the hospital this morning and dire warnings from the sister I was told not to attempt to do decorating etc.

So what do I do now.

How do I find a reliable handyman come painter who is not going to charge an arm and a leg to do a bit of DIY taking down the blinds and putting up curtain rails. Painting two ceilings and the walls of the lounge and bedroom.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Re: Man with Walls and Ceiling

I find using tartan or striped paint the hardest to use
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 07:44 PM

You could ask for recommendations on local social media (fb). People will soon speak up if they've been let down by anyone.
You could ask neighbours or friends who they use.
I'd get whoever you decide to try to do a small job first and see how they are before anything major.
My old Housing Association had a helping hands service but I found them a bit pricey.
There may be a local older person's group who have volunteers or a village agent like we have in Somerset who helps folk find suitable handy people.
Have a look at groups and the like in your area on line, you might find something.
Hope this helps x
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Hi MC Age Concern have a Handyman Service for small jobs they also produce a Yellow Local Traders Directory for bigger jobs with people who have supplied references/personal recommendations. . You would need to ring and ask for a copy from your local branch...

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 09:17 AM

Talking of ceilings .... I am SO excited that at last we are getting rid of our artexed ceilings. We have a plasterer coming soon to get them back to smooth white.

I hate artex, its so old fashioned but our house was built in the 70s and it was very fashionable then.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Talking of ceilings .... I am SO excited that at last we are getting rid of our artexed ceilings. We have a plasterer coming soon to get them back to smooth white.

I hate artex, its so old fashioned but our house was built in the 70s and it was very fashionable then.
That's great. The room will probably look a lot brighter once the old artex has gone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi MC Age Concern have a Handyman Service for small jobs they also produce a Yellow Local Traders Directory for bigger jobs with people who have supplied references/personal recommendations. . You would need to ring and ask for a copy from your local branch...

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/

I agree with Meg, try Age UK.

Failing that, you could perhaps try the Local Heroes people?
I believe you can get an estimate of cost online.

https://www.localheroes.com/

Good luck MC, but glad you are being sensible and not trying to climb up ladders yourself.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:24 PM

Also check with your local council, some have qualified tradesmen on their books who work for the elderly and poorly for a fixed price
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:31 PM

Go to local Trading Standards list for your area.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top