Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:29 AM

Re: Today in my garden.

Fruitcake I planted 2 small ornamental acers, either side of a hidden well in my garden, at the same time. One has grown into a pretty minature tree about 4 feet high, the other one is at least 12 feet high and could easily support a small child if they climbed it.

I suspect that your acer may die, if it is left in that churn, and it would be a shame to lose such a pretty tree.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:13 AM

What a gorgeous garden Fruity...if that were mine I would never be out of it....who needs holidays with your own little paradise

I used to have an acer in a wooden half tub and it did fairly well but the tub started to rot and fall apart so I replanted the acer next to a large stone wall... blimey it has gone mad I can tell it's happy there...it glows
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Wow Fruitcake. For someone who hates gardening, you sure do amazing garden work. This is so attractive and well maintained. It definitely holds interest. Thanks for sharing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 10:17 AM

I love the ponds Fruity, are they stocked with fish?

Things to consider with Acers:

Ericaceous soil (as mentioned)
They hate wind and prefer to be in a protected site.
They don't like their leaves to get wet particularly when it is sunny.
Don't over water.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 10:36 AM

My acer is about 15-20 years old and it is in a deep wide topped ceramic pot in a shaded part of the garden... this photo of it was taken 10 years ago....

Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 12:21 PM

Mine used to look like yours Mags, with the dissected leaves, but since the flood it looks like this.....

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Mine used to look like yours Mags, with the dissected leaves, but since the flood it looks like this.....

That's quite a difference from the delicate feathery leaves isn't it Nicol .... I hope we don't suffer a flood, I quite like the feathery look
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That's quite a difference from the delicate feathery leaves isn't it Nicol .... I hope we don't suffer a flood, I quite like the feathery look
It actually did me a favour really, it used to get terribly scorched in the summer

I do like the dissectums though, I might treat myself to a new one and try putting it somewhere a bit more sheltered this time.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

04-06-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
It actually did me a favour really, it used to get terribly scorched in the summer

I do like the dissectums though, I might treat myself to a new one and try putting it somewhere a bit more sheltered this time.
That's true, mine gets very little sun but what it does get is enough to scorch the leaf tips
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 01:29 PM

Wow! Fruitcake, your garden is stunningly beautiful. I love the ponds.
I am still waiting for the gardener to come & finish mine, he only does a couple of days here & there, it's getting very overgrown. I think he has a lot of others to do as well.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top