Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Constant communication

Do any other posters dislike being in constant communication with the world, as seems to be the case these days thanks to mobile phones?

I have a mobile phone, but it is always switched off and I only take it with me when I am driving, just in case of emergency. No one has the number, including my husband and children. I refuse to learn how to text, or use it for any other reason but making a call if my car broke down, for instance. At home I make calls on our landline.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 03:53 PM

Re: Constant communication

That’s the way Mrs M and I use it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 03:59 PM

I have a mobile phone,i wouldn't say I'm in constant communication with the world,..family yes,i have it switched on all the time,apart from charging it up,..i am glad i have it,doctor phoning me Tuesday, i am out all day,so he will ring my mobile for my results,..imo,it is a God send.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 04:31 PM

I have my mobile and use the whatsapp feature to have messaging so that my son, daughter, exwife and I can all chat together at the same time.
I have a woman from the town where I used to live who texts me but I only want to be friends with her despite her efforts to try to take it further.
I am being honest here although it sounds as if I am being boastful I am being pursued but despite the fact I would like to meet someone I definitely dont want to be close with her.
The few calls I do get are from hospital depts, my housing support worker and the people who for some reason think I am constantly being involved in accidents.
I wish I did gets call from friends but they all disappeared in the dim and distant past.
My home phone hasnt rung in months.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 04:44 PM

My phone is in constant use, it's on all the time and I have Apps for just about everything..
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 04:48 PM

I am exactly like you Tara. In fact since I no longer drive, I no longer bother taking the very old mobile phone I have with me. Also like you, no-one has my number and I never ever text anyone. Tried once ir twice, made a hash of it, so now dont bother.

My family nag that I should carry it with me when out on my mobility scooter, but as I go places where there are people, why bother?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Do any other posters dislike being in constant communication with the world, as seems to be the case these days thanks to mobile phones?

I have a mobile phone, but it is always switched off and I only take it with me when I am driving, just in case of emergency. No one has the number, including my husband and children. I refuse to learn how to text, or use it for any other reason but making a call if my car broke down, for instance. At home I make calls on our landline.

I hate to say it but this type of communication is how it is these days. Like it or not, it’s here to stay.
If you want to ignore it and live in a time warp, fine! Just continue hitting your hoop with a stick or go back to using two cocoa tins joined by a string!

It’s progress....embrace it!!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 06:07 PM

There is absolutely no point in me having a mobile, who would I talk to, given that days go by when the only people I speak to are my son and his wife, who live nearby, and other dog walkers? I have an iPad and a landline phone, so have absolutely no need for anything else.

For me it is not “living in a time warp”, just unnecessary.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I hate to say it but this type of communication is how it is these days. Like it or not, it’s here to stay.
If you want to ignore it and live in a time warp, fine! Just continue hitting your hoop with a stick or go back to using two cocoa tins joined by a string!

It’s progress....embrace it!!
I think it's progress for the worse, and mobiles have gone too far. People don't talk to each other anymore when out and about, they have their heads buried in their phones. Mobiles have their place but that place is in your pocket for emergency use

I do have a mobile but its a dumb one, my contract means it's cheaper to use it for calls than my landline is (unless it's a freefone number). It's useful for texts about appointment reminders etc but other than that and the occasional call mine sits unused.

Tech has it's place but that's not at the forefront of life!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 06:11 PM

There's no "one size fits all" over this; it depends entirely on your lifestyle and personal choice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top