Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 11:39 AM

North Sea experience

On the way home from Norway we were in the north sea when hit by a force 9 gale.
Ever wondered what happened to the swimming pools on board ship? they had to drain them after this

Several people were sea sick, not me i loved it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Re: North Sea experience

that looks exciting. I would have liked to have been in the pool I think.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 04:17 PM

They stopped people using the pool in case they got injured
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
that looks exciting. I would have liked to have been in the pool I think.
Me too, Dongles, and I can't even swim!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 04:38 AM

Oh, how cool! I love a good storm, and have always wanted to be at sea during one.

Reason #12 to always pay extra for a balcony.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Oh, how cool! I love a good storm, and have always wanted to be at sea during one.

Reason #12 to always pay extra for a balcony.

It depends on the severity of the storm Lee darlin' - have been on a ship (100,000 ton tanker) in a hurricane in the Atlantic. It wasn't nice - 80 ft mountains of water hurling themselves against the superstructure causing all sorts of damage.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 10:05 PM

I also have been in numerous hurricanes. A gale force 9 is frankly nothing and quite par for the course.

Actually it is the sea swell, not the wind speed that makes the difference.

I've been in force 12 conditions a couple of times and it's quite unpleasant and quite dangerous. On a cruise ship people are always injured. The ship handles it of course, it's designed to, but all the fittings, chairs, bottles, glasses, everything not nailed down just goes crashing about. People equally, thrown all over the place if they are not sat down. Many older people can't cope with that movement and will be knocked over.

If you booked a cabin at the front or back of the ship you're in hell for the duration. The extremities of the ship will constantly rise and fall by a huge amount. Could be 10-30 feet. Imagine standing in a block of flats with 5 floors and you're on floor 3. Every 10 seconds the floor you are standing on drops down to the first floor, then rises up to the 5th floor repeatedly over and over. Just horrible really.

These conditions don't happen often but when they do it's very unpleasant. Hence I always book a cabin mid-ships and always a balcony.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2018, 10:16 PM

If you want an idea of how dangerous it can be take a look at this clip of a ship caught in a storm. It is close to flipping right over. Even so, imagine the chaos going on inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deX7R9RbmX0

Now watch this clip. Camera footage inside a ship restaurant as the ship suffers in a storm. Keep watching the entire clip as the restaurant is reduce to tatters and even bodies are caught up in the carnage being constantly swept from side to side. Pretty awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhCR7yMm90A
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
If you want an idea of how dangerous it can be take a look at this clip of a ship caught in a storm. It is close to flipping right over. Even so, imagine the chaos going on inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deX7R9RbmX0

Now watch this clip. Camera footage inside a ship restaurant as the ship suffers in a storm. Keep watching the entire clip as the restaurant is reduce to tatters and even bodies are caught up in the carnage being constantly swept from side to side. Pretty awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhCR7yMm90A

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you've had it rough!!! - Cruise ships are fitted with stabilizers!!! Try riding out a hurricane in a merchant ship, not a passenger cruiser, you'll soon see the difference. Oh and its not just things 'not nailed down' that get damaged, we lost a life-boat from the davits - held there not with ropes but with STEEL CHAINS.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

28-06-2018, 10:02 AM

it is also not the worst I have been in, but this is the only times i have managed to video it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top