Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 10:20 PM

working with flash photography

Ok why have i not got into working with flash photography? the answer is not having what i consider vital bits of equipment.

Yes the Nikon cameras I have do have pop up flash on them, and that is ok for very basic head on shots. I also have what Nikon call an SB900 flash gun (SB) .

So what is the problem

Just using the camera flash and SB they both fire together and only in line of sight. so getting an angle flash shot is impossible or even a closeup. The camera flash triggers the SB sensor. Result is getting light from two sources. Also have to have camera and SB sensor in line with each other to work

To get anything like the shot I want I have to have the camera so far away as below

Just showing SB on tripod

Ok what is wrong with that??? nothing really if that is all I can do, but I want more flexability, so looking to find an answer to just the SB gun firing and not the camera flash.

So a bit of head scratching and then the light came on in my head. Why not use a radio trigger instead. there is a free wave band all have access to for this kind of work

Ah now getting somewhere,but which one? like most photographic equipment price and reliability come into it

So my consideration was price- radio range and power source

As for price around £50/60 (not the price guessed at in the video) should get a good one in mid range price. Radio range most state about 100 mtrs but power source OOH that was a problem. Some have a button battery and others use AA batteries. So obviously i went for the AA battery type in the transmitter and receiver.

Ii did a load of study and with Matt Granger videos I have used his recommendation on other gear

So ordered the Pixel King Nikon version which seems to meet my requirements and take AA batteries in both units. Not the latest version as I don't think I will need it, at least for the time being

So with them I can get close up shots with one flash gun one direction of light ,and open up a completely new form of photos as above without the gun in photo
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 11:31 PM

Re: working with flash photography

Why not use a cable to connect your flash gun to your camera's hot shoe? More reliable and cheaper too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Why not use a cable to connect your flash gun to your camera's hot shoe? More reliable and cheaper too.

Answer is distance, 100 mtrs v 2.74 metres , I don't want to be tethered by cable , get it ripped off the connections accidently

Amazon cost for a Nikon SC29 sync cord is £119 yes there are 3rd party ones about the same as the radio one below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Seller....c100005.m1851

AS i said one needs to research a lot before making any purchase
What I didn't mention is one has to be careful which radio transmitter is for your camera and flashgun. And high speed sync at 1/8000sec which my cameras can do

it has taken me 3 weeks to make the right choice

Consider what you may use it for. Imagine someone holding the flashgun high with a cord attached, asking for trouble.
The reviews on the sync cord arn't very good with plastic cover on the cable itself wears.

Also as it is a coiled cable it takes quite a strong pull I suspect to get to its longest length

Then if your also using a wired shutter trigger release cable **** tangles cables etc etc
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Have you considered a ring flash for your close-ups, RS?

I use that for all my macro photography.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top