Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Re: Things you just can't cook

My Mum made fantastic curries in the 70s, learnt from her time in India. This was before curry was popular in the UK.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Do you eat egg fried rice as part of a chinese meal??? - not a lot of difference - honest and curry is lovely and warming. I spent seven months in India as an infant, my Gran used to make her own curries - phaal - which is the hottest you can get and here in the Indian Restaurants phaal is only served with a health warning.
Yes, I like egg fried rice. But the eggs are scrambled, not hard-boiled and there's no fish or curry in it

I should probably add here that I like fish once in a while, but on its own, not mixed in with other things.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Potato salad.

I don't know what it is about that stuff, but despite several attempts, I just can't do it. It never turns out as good as grandma's. Even potato salad purchased at the grocery store deli is better than mine. It just never comes out right.
I’m not sure what potato salad is. What ingredients do you use Linda?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 09:31 PM

I find I always get the best potato salad with using warm potatoes

I boil in the skins, drain, the leave to cool enough to handle. Scrape the skin off and cut into required size and whilst still warm add the dressing, then cool

That way I find you get no crunchy bits of potato and the dressing flavours the potatoes through rather then just coating them
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I’m not sure what potato salad is. What ingredients do you use Linda?
Well, there are different types of potato salads. My favorite is German potato salad, but the traditional type here in the states is made with potatoes, chopped hard-boiled egg if you want it, celery and/or onions, and mayonnaise. But, like I said, there are tons of different types.

Maybe I just don't use enough seasoning, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I find I always get the best potato salad with using warm potatoes

I boil in the skins, drain, the leave to cool enough to handle. Scrape the skin off and cut into required size and whilst still warm add the dressing, then cool

That way I find you get no crunchy bits of potato and the dressing flavours the potatoes through rather then just coating them
That's a good idea, maybe I'll try it that way. If I ever attempt it again. I swore the last time I tried to make it that that was the last time
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 12:31 PM

My mum used to make a kind of potato salad using mashed potato, often cold leftovers, mixed with sweet piccalilli. I used to love this and must remember to try making it sometime.
Linda0818
USA

11-11-2017, 03:59 PM

My mum used to make a kind of potato salad using mashed potato, often cold leftovers, mixed with sweet piccalilli. I used to love this and must remember to try making it sometime.
Interesting. I've never heard of anyone using mashed potatoes for a cold salad before.

Here we turn leftover mashed potatoes into either potato soup or potato pancakes. I personally love potato pancakes made from fresh, shredded potatoes, but you can use leftover mash as well.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Curry in any form awful stuff.

Potato salad IMO is best made a few hours before eating to allow the flavours to meld.

I always use new potatoes for it too so I leave the skins on.
Val J
East Yorkshire

11-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Interesting. I've never heard of anyone using mashed potatoes for a cold salad before.

Here we turn leftover mashed potatoes into either potato soup or potato pancakes. I personally love potato pancakes made from fresh, shredded potatoes, but you can use leftover mash as well.
Try it Linda, it is delicious. I’m not sure if you get piccalilli in the US but can also use mustard pickle.

We often add a raw egg to mash and fry, would this be a potato pancake?
Linda0818
USA

11-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Curry in any form awful stuff.

Potato salad IMO is best made a few hours before eating to allow the flavours to meld.

I always use new potatoes for it too so I leave the skins on.
That's the way I like it too.

Try it Linda, it is delicious. I’m not sure if you get piccalilli in the US but can also use mustard pickle.

We often add a raw egg to mash and fry, would this be a potato pancake?
We use relish (which I think is similar to piccalilli) in potato salad, egg salad, macaroni salad, etc.

And yep, those are potato pancakes. Mix in a raw egg, salt & pepper, form into patties and fry until golden brown on both sides. Like these...

I also like to make them from fresh shredded potato, like a latke or rosti. The texture is different and they're so delicious. You can also add to the potato mixture shredded carrot or courgette.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top