Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 09:41 AM

Re: Bread & Butter

Originally Posted by solo ->
I have few sins that I will admit too but if it's just come out of the oven and still warm...it is fair game. Be it cake, bread, scones, meat I confess to a lack of self control. I just cannot resist and it does taste so much better hot.
Me too, of course the cook has to try them to make sure they are cooked inside
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 09:51 AM

I have tried so hard and failed so hard to leave my Walnut bread to cool before eating.

It looks so lonely steaming alone and just cries out to be smothered in butter and lovingly eaten. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 10:07 AM

T'was one of the things I used to do when Dragon (my mother) was making mince pies before Xmas - she used to make 2 dozen at a time and NEVER got save any of the first batch for Xmas - they were scoffed invariably piping hot straight out of the oven by George and I long before Xmas arrived.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 10:19 AM

I used to make home-made bread with a bread machine but we eat so little bread we used to have to throw most of it away. Now we buy a seeded wholemeal loaf and keep it in the freezer taking out a slice or two as and when needed.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I used to make home-made bread with a bread machine but we eat so little bread we used to have to throw most of it away. Now we buy a seeded wholemeal loaf and keep it in the freezer taking out a slice or two as and when needed.
Never quite got on with the bread maker method Alan. Knocking up a loaf or two is simple enough and the end results are far better than something that resembles a brick and often taste like one.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:15 PM

I'm with you Solo and nice to find a fellow bread making enthusiast. It's one of my hobbies if not obsessions. I trained up at one of the best Artisan Food schools and then cut my teeth properly by volunteering to work in a couple of real Artisan bakeries for a week. Great fun but hard work !

Here are some of my creations:

An overnight fermented white loaf

A Dark Rye Sourdough Loaf

A Tartine style loaf

Some Auvergne Rye Baguettes

Making bread is so easy and can take so little of your actual time that I think everyone should make their own if possible.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 08:23 PM

I eat a lot of bread. I keep 2 slices more or less permanently on the go in the toaster for snacking. I used to make my own but haven't done for years. When I think back to when I did make bread a lot of it came out nice enough from the oven - softish - but when cooled became as hard as a door stop. Never did quite get the hang of it all.
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 02:10 AM

Nothing nicer than bread, butter and something nice to go with it. A favourite cheese, pate, jam etc.

Which bread do you prefer ?

For me I do love many varieties, but nothing is better than fresh biscuits right out of the oven!
solo
UK

08-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang Sam ->
For me I do love many varieties, but nothing is better than fresh biscuits right out of the oven!
Your biscuits are our plain or cheese scones. They were brought to America by the Scots/Irish immigrants and then given a fancy French name bis cuit (meaning twice cooked). You have a lot to thank us for
Mustang Sam
Canada
Mustang Sam is female 

08-10-2015, 01:38 PM

Your biscuits are our plain or cheese scones. They were brought to America by the Scots/Irish immigrants and then given a fancy French name bis cuit (meaning twice cooked). You have a lot to thank us for
Actually our Maritime biscuits are very different they have no sugar added and the leavening agent is baking soda rather than baking powder.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top