Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 05:33 PM

Re: The real cause of depression

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have thought this for many years now someone has written about it .
Basically a lot of depression is caused by the lack of meaningful
Work or activity .

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...st-connections
I always think it sad how people (used to I thought) feel so diminished and lost when they can't get on the treadmill of work anymore. I thought that was no longer "a thing" these days.

People take themselves too seriously. They need to lighten up. But having an interest in the "outside world" helps. Rather than incessant self obsession.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I always think it sad how people (used to I thought) feel so diminished and lost when they can't get on the treadmill of work anymore. I thought that was no longer "a thing" these days.

People take themselves too seriously. They need to lighten up.
But having an interest in the "outside world" helps.
Rather than incessant self obsession.
...which in itself can be a sign of depression.

Blueberry your post is interesting...but if you've been diagnosed as bi-polar then surely you're on meds to stabilise the condition so that it doesn't define you?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
@ Pesta.

You sound as if you've had a rough time. It's good that you can put it on this forum as I'm sure it must help you.
I do think medication can do far more harm than good, but that's the only thing the professionals have relied upon over many years .
Knowing how many come off the medication for similar diagnoses because it makes them feel ten times worse, just proves a point.
I feel desperately sorry for those who ended up in care for one reason or another, and who have been force fed these medications to the point of them taking away all their abilities of living any sort of life. Those poor people have been made brain dead because of the easy option .

I hope you manage to find some peace in your mind and enjoy the things in life that mean something special to you. Little by little, Pesta and a little becomes a lot.
Hiya Puddle... honestly I didn't put it down for sympathy - really I don't want or need any. I'm truly fine. It was more memory jolting, which this place seems to do to me sometimes.

No, I wouldn't say I had it rough, more minor hiccups. I put it into context by appreciating how minor it all was. How many poor sods who suffer untold problems after serving in the forces being left with PTSD, broken minds and bodies for what they've been through. Getting no proper help for their ills when they come home - just left to rot homeless on the streets. And the poor souls where life is just too much bear with violence or pain and they just don't know what to do anymore, so they end it.

Regarding medication. It's on my notes about having a phobia about medication. Apart from my experience of it, I watched my mum be a zombie for 40yrs. A total zombie because of medication. No emotion, no laughter, dead eyes, no nothing except timidity. Sectioned so many times, gawd knows how many ECT's. God, it was awful. After those 40yrs she was showing signs of Parkinsons and they thought it was the meds so decided to grade her off those and put her on different meds.

Well, what a difference. I was 10 when she was zombified. I was 48 when she a person again. She giggled, her eyes sparkled, she discussed, she was into politics, she painted, she read. The last 10 yrs of her life she was a person again. It was always obvious when she pretended to take her meds but didn't so stuff went wrong, but what a character she was.

It saddened me because I waited so long to really see her - all because of medication. Pah! Ok, she was a schizophrenic rather than depressive... but after all that it's no wonder my dad buggered off.

Instead of meds, wouldn't it be wonderful if we were all born with a discreet little door on our foreheads. And when things go off balance there's a little key to open it, to tweak things to make it better. . Bit like tweaking an engine when the timing's out. Sorted in a jiff

Right, another ramble, but that got that off my chest too
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I read every bit of this thread, with interest.

I am bipolar. I have struggled all my life...

My heart goes out to all of you who have suffered as I have. It is hard. Every day can be a challenge.

I find now that I am a senior, everything is 10 times harder than it ever was before. I cannot accept old age. Life was hard enough before with my bipolar, but now with old age on top of that, it is "very hard".

I have to just take one day at a time, with God as my leader, and find my way though each task I have to face. Some days I am in a manic stage, and high, excited, and can take on the world.....within seconds that can all change.....I can retreat to my bed and find comfort underneath the warm, cozy, blankets.....

I ride a rollar coaster every day of my life.

Sorry to hear that Blueberry.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

05-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
not jumbled up at all
Good... it felt jumbled up trying to put it down into words.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Sorry to hear that Blueberry.
Thanks Pesta....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

Blueberry your post is interesting...but if you've been diagnosed as bi-polar then surely you're on meds to stabilise the condition so that it doesn't define you?
I can't take bipolar meds because they make me like a zombie and fat. I can't live like that, I would rather be on the roller coaster ride. That is just my choice, others might not mind being a big fat girl. Not me!

But, let's not make this thread about me. Leave it to the opening poster...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Modern life doesn't help .

http://www.thebookoflife.org/how-the...-mentally-ill/
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

I would say it is a sign and a CAUSE.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

09-02-2018, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I would say it is a sign and a CAUSE.
I am trying to understand what you are saying Gravitas. Would you elaborate a little more?
Thanks.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top