Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Were you bullied at school?

I didn't enjoy my primary school years in the 50s as I was bullied. My parents were better off than some of the other parents, whose children came to school in nothing better than rags! I was well dressed and had always something tasty to eat at playtime. I never got to eat it as many of those poor children were hungry and took it off me. I was called names and often hit as well. My father told me to hit them back harder than they hit me, which was a crazy thing to say!

The head teacher had been a pupil teacher before WW1, having been wounded in that conflict, he had been my father's head teacher too. Whether his war experiences had warped his mind, I don't know, but he was a cruel bully to the kids from poor homes. He would beat them black and blue, knowing he could get away with it, he even beat one boy unconscious!

Thank goodness schools are not permitted to use corporal punishment these days! They also take bullying much more seriously and crack down upon it. Of course it isn't ever going to wipe it out altogether but at least it is better than it was.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Re: Were you bullied at school?

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I didn't enjoy my primary school years in the 50s as I was bullied. My parents were better off than some of the other parents, whose children came to school in nothing better than rags! I was well dressed and had always something tasty to eat at playtime. I never got to eat it as many of those poor children were hungry and took it off me. I was called names and often hit as well. My father told me to hit them back harder than they hit me, which was a crazy thing to say!

The head teacher had been a pupil teacher before WW1, having been wounded in that conflict, he had been my father's head teacher too. Whether his war experiences had warped his mind, I don't know, but he was a cruel bully to the kids from poor homes. He would beat them black and blue, knowing he could get away with it, he even beat one boy unconscious!

Thank goodness schools are not permitted to use corporal punishment these days! They also take bullying much more seriously and crack down upon it. Of course it isn't ever going to wipe it out altogether but at least it is better than it was.
No, never bullied Tara, even though I was the smallest boy in class with the biggest mouth.
Without any brothers to protect me I made friends with a couple of the hardest lads in school...........and I became a very good runner.....
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:34 PM

On another forum, on which I post, is a member in his 60s, born with very poor vision, he was bullied unmercifully at his school, physically and verbally!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Yes I was bullied very badly at school by both pupils and teachers, they made my life unbearable and helped to create a lonely and bitter child.
They also helped to create a very strong independent person.

For some (but not all ) it is truism that 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes I was bullied very badly at school by both pupils and teachers they made my life unbearable and helped to create a lonely and bitter child.
They also helped to create a very strong independent person.
And a very good unbiased Moderator......
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:44 PM

I was never bullied at school but one of my younger sisters was. I was about 11 and the bully was much taller and bigger than me!
One day, after she had hit my sister and made her cry again, l marched up to the bully and said in a very strong tone, 'If you ever, ever hit my sister again, l won't be responsible for my actions'! She cowered back and never bothered my sister again!
I realise now why some men say they are scared of me!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Amazingly for a fat kid I wasn't bullied at all. I had a lot of nice friends who wouldn't have allowed it and if anyone did say your fat, I'd say wow you are clever I never realised that. Usually shut them down straight away.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:01 PM

My son was bullied but kept it from us for quite a while...as a parent I felt so guilty that I had not spotted it....even more guilty when I found out it was because he didn't want to disappoint me.

I've never got over the feeling of guilt.

Bullying is responsible for so many unhappy people
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:04 PM

That's awful isn't it, I felt immensely lucky grace came to me straight away, mind she couldn't hide the enormous bruises !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And a very good unbiased Moderator......
Agreed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top