Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Re: Should voting be made compulsory?

What about those who campaigned, suffered, and sometimes died in order to achieve the right to vote
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:57 AM

The right - not the requirement
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ah, but 'duty' and 'compulsory' are two very different things.
Not sure it should be compulsory.

I do mostly go and vote, but if I don't like any of 'em, what am I supposed to vote?
What I did was vote for the least likely person to win. It was a protest vote against the Tories and Labour..But I still voted.
tina
Lincolnshire
tina is female  tina has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 02:35 AM

I always vote thats just because I can and want to, but to be made to vote is another thing I am afraid I would stick my heels in and refuse.
kingfisher
New Member!
Canada
kingfisher is male 

12-02-2016, 02:47 AM

No we should not be forced to vote.My father and a lot more English and Canadian solders died on Normandy beaches I was only four then they died to give us a choice to vote or not.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by kingfisher ->
No we should not be forced to vote.My father and a lot more English and Canadian solders died on Normandy beaches I was only four then they died to give us a choice to vote or not.
I suspect they would have been very surprised to know that they were fighting about the right to vote. Especially as the German government they were fighting against had been democratically elected unlike the government they were fighting for.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:10 AM

Look what protest votes and non-voters have got us now. By the time this bunch are thrown out we won't have a country we can call our own it will belong to corporations and we'll have no say at all.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I suspect they would have been very surprised to know that they were fighting about the right to vote. Especially as the German government they were fighting against had been democratically elected unlike the government they were fighting for.
A hung parliament.
Hitler took control with an alliance of another party and then right to vote was veto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...on,_March_1933
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 12:38 PM

I don't think voting should be compulsory.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
A hung parliament.
Hitler took control with an alliance of another party and then right to vote was veto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...on,_March_1933
It was still a democratically elected government.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top