Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 01:24 AM

Re: assisted dying

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
The UK is lagging behind Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Australia and certain states in the USA in making assisted dying legal. I used to belong to Dignity in Dying, which campaigns for it in the UK, but I got so disillusioned with the House of Commons on the 2 recent attempts to push it through, that I am no longer involved. Sadly I think it will be many years before the UK sees sense. Certainly not in my lifetime. If I need assisted dying, I am resigned to having to do a "Short Stay in Switzerland".

Those last two attempts, I think they the ones the late actor Brian Rix was very vocal about and lobbied against.

He soon changed his mind when his turn came and completely reversed his opinion on voluntary euthanasia.

I, too, hope they have something sensible in place and soon.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Due to OH's recent diagnoses we have taken steps to ensure our future and keep as much control as possible.

I have power of attorny with my daughter as second.

We have both made an advance directive which stipulates the care we should recieve and the point at which care should be withdrawn.

It also includes a euthanasia clause. This stipulates the point at which we authorise our next of kin and doctors to take the steps to end our lives.

This is something I have always said I wanted but my stomach did turn a little when I signed the paper at the lawyers office.

My view is that doctors often say they cant play god, but in forcing sick people to live longer they are doing excactly that. The coin has two sides 'do no harm' isnt always as black and white as it might seem.

I am glad I live in a country where dying with dignity at a time of our own choosing is not against the law.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 04:01 PM

Where is that?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Where is that?
'At home' of course!

I sometimes wonder why some people don't like to name the town or even the country in which they live.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
'At home' of course!

I sometimes wonder why some people don't like to name the town or even the country in which they live.
Because it often leads to people making assumptions or rather unfriendly comments.

Most people who have read more than one of my posts know I currently reside in The Netherlands.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Because it often leads to people making assumptions or rather unfriendly comments.

Most people who have read more than one of my posts know I currently reside in The Netherlands.
So what's wrong with living in the Netherlands?
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

You're very lucky to live there, too.

Even though I only drive through there to go to Germany, the people are always polite and friendly.

I had a night in the Hoek this year and it was very nice, feels very much like the old country which Germany didn't this time, it felt like here.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-01-2017, 11:54 PM

I also like the Netherlands.

In which part do you live?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We lag behind other countries in a number of ways, and I agree that this is one that should be permitted. Like you, I cannot see them allowing it in my lifetime, though.

If I were sufficiently in need of ending my life, I'd consider an insulin overdose. I am insulin-dependent diabetic and have sufficient stock to do the deed if necessary.
Why would not Them want a dignified exit?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-01-2017, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why would not Them want a dignified exit?
You mean the government?

We all know that the government works in mysterious ways!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top