Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 08:24 PM

Re: Why are people so frightened of spiders?

My Mum always said 'If you want to live and thrive let a spider run alive '. They kill the flies that bring the germs
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 09:18 PM

Our fear of spiders is in our DNA, when man evolved ,believed to be in Africa, venomous spiders posed a big threat if you were bitten and died obviously that was bad, but you could be bitten and not die but become very sick, so you could not hunt/forage for food, and yourself and family/clan would suffer, so our fear of spiders is primeval ,something we still have today
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:15 PM

I must admit to squishing a couple of Red Back spiders when we were in Oz. However some spiders are nasty little creatures that you wouldn't want to share your home with. Far safer company is a cat or dog. Never turn your back on one of the nasty spiders.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:47 PM

Iīm not a fan of spiders, but as long as they keep their distance from me they are safe. I donīt trust any of them. I got a spider bite at the top of my leg 6 years ago. I didnīt know it was a spider bite, I didnīt even feel anything bite me, but it came up as a little red painful lump. I didnīt bother about it for a couple of days, but then the flesh around the bite began turning black. Off to the doctor, who pronounced it was a spider bite. I was having to have it treated every 3 days, it made a hole in my leg which the nurse was having to pack with the dressing. It took about 3 months to heal and to this day I have a deep scar on the site of the bite. The medics thought it was most likely a bite from a brown recluse spider, whatever they are. So no, I donīt like spiders, I donīt trust them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
You should never kill a spider as it's bad luck! You are meant to pick them up and put them outside!
The trouble is that, especially in winter, putting them outside is likely to kill them.

I never put spiders outside.

If I see one, my usual response is to just leave it where it is. When I've gone away and come back later it will have gone. It is sitting there, not moving, in abject terror!

However, I make an exception if the cat is around or likely to see it. I'm sure you know what would happen! In such cases, I gently urge it to run away under the settee or other safe place.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The only time I move a spider in the house, is if it gets stuck in the bath.
Yes, for some reason we quite often find a spider in the bath and, of course, it can't climb out again.

I pick them up and put them on the floor near to where they can scuttle under something.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-01-2017, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Iīm not a fan of spiders, but as long as they keep their distance from me they are safe. I donīt trust any of them. I got a spider bite at the top of my leg 6 years ago. I didnīt know it was a spider bite, I didnīt even feel anything bite me, but it came up as a little red painful lump. I didnīt bother about it for a couple of days, but then the flesh around the bite began turning black. Off to the doctor, who pronounced it was a spider bite. I was having to have it treated every 3 days, it made a hole in my leg which the nurse was having to pack with the dressing. It took about 3 months to heal and to this day I have a deep scar on the site of the bite. The medics thought it was most likely a bite from a brown recluse spider, whatever they are. So no, I donīt like spiders, I donīt trust them.
Distinct advantages, then, of living in the cold North of England!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 07:37 AM

You can't compare spiders with cats and dogs. Spiders look like aliens, they aren't tactile and don't have appealing faces, they don't respond to cuddles and strokes or sit on your lap or go with you for walks. It's impossible to know what they're thinking, they scuttle, they look weird ...... and yes, they give me the creeps but I wouldn't kill one if I could get it outside without getting too close. I've got one of those trap things on a long handle which works well for me, as long as the critters are on a flat surface.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 08:44 AM

I like most spiders and am happy enough to leave them in peace. Like Twink I move them out of the bath for their own safety. Most UK spiders can bite - but rarely do - more likely to run away. The only times I have bitten have been my own fault and both bites were from angry female Wolf Spiders - first when I put gardening gloves on without shaking them first and spoiled her sleep and, the second time, I accidently broke part of a nursery pod when moving things in the garage. They really hurt and made me feel sickly for a coupke of days - but also made me more careful when in the garage.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Distinct advantages, then, of living in the cold North of England!
I don't know about that. We used to get lots of spiders in the house in England, we very rarely get them indoors here, but the little devils lurk outdoors to bite your legs when you wear shorts.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top