Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Phony Meat

Another thread I'm not sure where to put.. But it is heath related.. I have been eliminating meat from my diet.. but I love hamburgers and meatballs in pasta sauce. Does anyone have a recipe for a vegetarian mixture that stays together and doesn't fall apart that can be shaped into patties or meatballs. The things I have been trying just crumble.. I have tried the SOY crumbles mixed with cooked brown rice with egg and breadcrumbs as a binder.. any other ideas?

But I think the crux of this thread is to really discuss if humans can be healthy on a vegetarian diet.. Can we get all the protein we need from plants, or are we meant to eat meat.. we DO have canine teeth afterall... and our appendix is a vestage of intestine the first humans used to digest raw meat.. Is it really smart to be vegan?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 08:27 PM

Re: Phony Meat

I firmly believe that nature designed us to be omnivorous. I think you can live just on vegetables and fruit or alternatively just on meat but I don't think you would be as healthy. This is only an opinion not a scientific fact.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 08:50 PM

I have never been fond of meat at any time in my life, all I eat of meat now is a couple of slices if chicken breast maybe once a week and I'm not too frond of that either but the wife insists, so to keep her happy I go along with it. I eat a variety of veg and love all the different ways potatoes can be prepared, a big bowl of porridge in the morning with lots of honey on it and fruit every day, thats about it, I do like the odd treat like ice cream and chocolate, but I never was a fussy eater, food is just belly timber to me and when it burns out you chuck more in.
As regards my health, I never had any major sickness and I've always had plenty of energy in the daytime but slow down a little in the evenings, that's understandable at my age but I'm still a fit man, on the other hand the wife, son and daughter are big into meat, they just love meat.
I have mostly done without it all my life and it didn't do me any harm.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 08:57 PM

I rarely eat red meat, cooked a roast chicken dinner today with lots of fresh veggies, I'm going through a phase of eating quorn peppered steaks, they are absolutely delish! on offer at Morrison's at just £1.24
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 09:45 PM

Red meat doesn't agree with me so I haven't eaten any for years. I do eat chicken (tarted up with a sauce) as it's tasteless on it's own, I do eat plenty of different fish and salads plus veg. I also make plenty soups.

Honey is Quorn ok? I keep saying I'll try it but been put of by. hearing it's not good.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 09:57 PM

there's good and bad press abut it, I love the taste, it's fungi based and a good vegetarian substitute for meat, here's one report which says some can have an allergic reaction but you can with many things, it's trial and error when you don't know exactly what goes into your food but I've been eating it for a long time without any problem and I have lost weight by cutting out red meat
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks for replying Honey, I've read the link it seems a small amount of ppl have any reaction. I'm amazed you've lost weight not eating meat someone must be pumping me up when I'm asleep as I've put weight on these last years.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

03-08-2014, 10:37 PM

I think dieting makes you fat! These days I don't worry about food, I eat what I like but that tends to be fresh veggies and meat free products, I used to love steak, chops, burgers too but since cutting them out I've lost over half a stone!
Gabi
Lancs,.

03-08-2014, 10:56 PM

I've never been on a diet in my life always very slim and could eat anything. I'm an old girl now so don't run around as much you wouldn't pick me out as fat just a bit on the bonny side.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 12:01 AM

A dear friend of mine has been vegetarian for almost 50 years, and she is fitter than I am, so its not done her any harm. I don't know if she takes any supplements or not, but I can ask her if anyone wants to know. She always says she doesn't eat anything "with a face", so that includes fish as well. She's a jolly good cook though and has made me some delicious meals.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top