Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 10:40 PM

Re: Doing Porridge

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Out of curiosity..
How thick should porridge be?
My dad used to make it that thick the spoon stood up in it. It put me off for life having to chew it.
Ha!
I'd say.. one step away from sticking to the roof of your mouth!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 10:42 PM

Piglet, he would say ... eat your porridge.

Faced with that or shredded wheat I used to take a slice of porridge to eat on the way to school.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 10:43 PM

Porridge made with water (I don't like milk), no salt allowed...... and blueberries, strawberries or chopped banana on top.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 10:58 PM

In the slimmin world version, you pour the milk, or youghurt on the oats---then leave overnight in the fridge--I just tried with a spoonful, but no, i could not face it. I lke crunchy cereals. Not soggy !!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2016, 11:00 PM

Get your teeth into a shredded wheat Mariana ... it'll do wonders for any diet.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
There's a much easier way to make it.........put the dry porridge in a bowl, add boiling water. Cover bowl (with e.g. plate) leave for a few minutes while chopping fruit to mix in. Add the fruit and a bit of milk. Eat
Even easier: one cup of water in your bowl, third of a cup (heaped) oats, two minutes in the microwave.

Then you have a choice; either a further two minutes at 30% or just let it stand for two minutes (personally do the former)

Stir in knob of butter, add milk and YUM!

Only have porridge in winter myself, it shares the stage with shredded wheat because I only like that with warm milk. Summer is all cold milk, Weet-bix and muesli
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 12:10 AM

Decades ago, we used to be able to get something called "first break of wheat" - unbranded, unprocessed, no additives.
This, mixed with porridge - or even by itself - great flavour and texture.
Later it was available only at Health Food stores but then disappeared altogether.

We were told there was some health-scare about it.
What crap - talk about the Nanny State.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 08:20 AM

All those Scots can't be wrong
( except when they voted to remain)
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 08:32 AM

As a diabetic porridge is a good start to a day. It has a low GI, so the slow release keeps me feeling full for longer. Also you can add so many things to it.

I go through phases with it.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Get your teeth into a shredded wheat Mariana ... it'll do wonders for any diet.
Thank you for that---at the moment I am eating what looks like little shredded wheats most mornings--but maybe Ill try the others next week--but I could not take them with milk-at the moement I use either fromage frais or low fat youghurt with my minis.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top