Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Re: Penknives..

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Oh yum ... Champagne ? or ice cream
Private Investigator
Only when fender's on nights.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Private Investigator
Only when fender's on nights.
Ooooo ! Tom Selleck ?
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 07:01 AM

Good thread, and some nice penknives pics,. thanks,.. yes I too wouldn't be without one,. I am on my third Swiss Army penknife now ( victorinox ) as I find them so useful especially for work as I am constantly having to cut though string and ropes, I also find the other attachments useful too, i have tried other penknives but I guess the Victorinox is the best for me.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tomtwodogs ->
Good thread, and some nice penknives pics,. thanks,.. yes I too wouldn't be without one,. I am on my third Swiss Army penknife now ( victorinox ) as I find them so useful especially for work as I am constantly having to cut though string and ropes, I also find the other attachments useful too, i have tried other penknives but I guess the Victorinox is the best for me.
Thanks,

Yes, I too have a fondness for SAK's.
My favourite is the Alox Farmer model.

Best compromise of all I think.
Fyrefox
New Member!
Pennsylvania, USA
Fyrefox is male 

13-01-2017, 01:46 PM

My father always carried a penknife, and would "whittle" on branches he'd find in the woods. His "whittling" also translated to wood carving, and he made many figurines and decorated objects as a hobby. They are now family heirlooms. I use pocketknives to open envelopes and cut box tape so as to compress them for trash or recycling. My better knives I regard as collectible art objects.

Today if you have as much as a tiny blade on a nail clipper, it will be discerned by metal detectors you must pass through to enter some public buildings, and confiscated should you board an airline with one. -- How times have changed!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2017, 05:51 PM

One of my hobbies is knife making. This is a good website about all thinks knife - like

www.britishblades.com

It is a common hobby in Scandinavia. This supplier will show you all the sorts of blades and other things available

www.brisa.fi

When I was growing up just about all the boys and many of the girls in the village had a knife, and no-one gave it a second thought
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2017, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
One of my hobbies is knife making. This is a good website about all thinks knife - like

www.britishblades.com

It is a common hobby in Scandinavia. This supplier will show you all the sorts of blades and other things available

www.brisa.fi

When I was growing up just about all the boys and many of the girls in the village had a knife, and no-one gave it a second thought
Can you post some of yours up?
Be interesting to see.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
God I still have a Pen knife, its Red, back in the 70s a boy who I was going out with gave it to me, never use it, it's stuck in the drawers, I see if I can find it and put a photo on.

I've still got penknives 2 susie. Usually got one in my pocket when gardening.

Sharpening is a 'thing' with me though. I can't sharpen things to save my life and it really bugs me.
Shears, scissors, penknives, kitchen knives, sacateurs - can't do a decent job sharpening any of 'em.

Come on fender, send me some idiot-proof instructions please - and it's no good getting too technical either.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2017, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've still got penknives 2 susie. Usually got one in my pocket when gardening.

Sharpening is a 'thing' with me though. I can't sharpen things to save my life and it really bugs me.
Shears, scissors, penknives, kitchen knives, sacateurs - can't do a decent job sharpening any of 'em.

Come on fender, send me some idiot-proof instructions please - and it's no good getting too technical either.
Just taking the chance of poking my sneck in here, and admitting that I am no expert when it comes to knives, may I suggest the use of something like this.

To me, it seems more foolproof (not suggesting for a minute, Mups, that you are a fool!) than attempting to ensure a consistent angle when using a sharpening stone.

They're not advisable for scissors, though.

More experienced people than me will advise you better, I'm sure!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knife-Sharpener.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	2845  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just taking the chance of poking my sneck in here, and admitting that I am no expert when it comes to knives, may I suggest the use of something like this.

To me, it seems more foolproof (not suggesting for a minute, Mups, that you are a fool!) than attempting to ensure a consistent angle when using a sharpening stone.

They're not advisable for scissors, though.

More experienced people than me will advise you better, I'm sure!

Thank you for that JBR.
I have something similar to that device, and use if for my vegetable peeling knife.
I find it fine as long as the knife is fairly sharp to start with, I don't find it alot of use for sharpening a very blunt knife.

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top