Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:53 PM

Re: advocado = enviromental disaster

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Well , I'm talking about California & Florida.
Not sure about Florida prices, but they should be major cheap in CA and Mexico.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:18 PM

i get mine in Sainsburys---ripe and ready-or they are like bullets--not good.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Not sure about Florida prices, but they should be major cheap in CA and Mexico.
Well they are not .
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mariana ->
A grocery store I frequent had a really bad stretch of getting bummer 'cados. Don't know what was going on, but they would never ripen. Unless I need a super ripe one to use that night for guacamole (otherwise I like my avocado slightly soft but still sliceable) I normally buy them when they're still very firm to the touch. Well for some reason these ones wouldn't ripen and get soft no matter how long they sat. It was strange.

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Well they are not .
Well, most likely something to do with the original article Muddy posted. I found something similar...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9176b...-deforestation

So it's no wonder they're so expensive.

They're pretty abundant here, but I haven't noticed an increase in cost. It's pretty typical to pay a dollar (£0.77) for an avocado here, sometimes even more. People still buy them up, though, the cost doesn't seem to bother anyone.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You'll probably be disappointed, they are grown from cuttings not seeds, the seeds are totally unpredictable the tree might be infertile ie produce no fruit or produce inedible fruit.

The trees look OK but the chances of it producing fruit like the one it came from are negligible. Sorry
No probs mate....I'm growing it just for the fun of it, it wouldn't stand a chance of producing fruit in our climate, I just love growing plants from cuttings or seed.
Most of the plants, shrubs and trees in my garden are grown this way.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 10:31 AM

I love a ripe avocado but unripe brings out my `nasty side` Non e maturo I say-Italian waiter says`si yes under ripe? Yes i just said that. In England-waiter this spoon is no good for this thing you have served. Can I get you something else Sir? Maybe a jack hammer?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by mariana ->
Me too. It's strange that when you get one that isn't ripe, it never ripens and ends up in the bin.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 10:37 AM

I call them rubber advocates .
They just turn into rubber and as has been said they never ripen.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 10:48 AM

I disagree that there's no taste to an avocado, it's just very subtle. Lovely with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of vinegar.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
A grocery store I frequent had a really bad stretch of getting bummer 'cados. Don't know what was going on, but they would never ripen. Unless I need a super ripe one to use that night for guacamole (otherwise I like my avocado slightly soft but still sliceable) I normally buy them when they're still very firm to the touch. Well for some reason these ones wouldn't ripen and get soft no matter how long they sat. It was strange.

Well, most likely something to do with the original article Muddy posted. I found something similar...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9176b...-deforestation

So it's no wonder they're so expensive.

They're pretty abundant here, but I haven't noticed an increase in cost. It's pretty typical to pay a dollar (£0.77) for an avocado here, sometimes even more. People still buy them up, though, the cost doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Say no more.
You rich Americans.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top