Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 12:07 PM

You cannot give in

To moral blackmail. For reasons of privacy and discretion I cannot go into details but taking an overdose is no way to treat a friend.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Re: You cannot give in

That sounds sad Stephan I am afraid when someone intentionally takes an overdose the last thing they are thinking about is a friend...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 12:46 PM

I agree Meg.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 01:10 PM

This is a very delicate subject OG but I think, if somebody really wants to take their own lives, it is because they can't cope with their life, so they do it discreetly. All those who are close to them will feel a degree of guilt and wish they could have stopped it, but if the person feels that they have an unbearable life.... then it is their choice!
People who threaten suicide don't really want to die, they are asking for help and that is the time that a friend can change their mind. I know because a friend once hinted to me that he was planning suicide, over Skype, when he was in Australia and I was in the UK. I called friends, out there, to go and help and he was taken into a clinic for several weeks..... but I did get a message from him, thanking me for saving his life.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 01:23 PM

It is true that many attempt suicide as a way of asking for help-and that help is there amongst friends. But we will not be blackmailed,nor should we. And if the silly person refuses to take a blood test to check liver function we can only make suggestions. You realise this is just hypothetical-just musing on a novel I`m thinking about writing
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
This is a very delicate subject OG but I think, if somebody really wants to take their own lives, it is because they can't cope with their life, so they do it discreetly. All those who are close to them will feel a degree of guilt and wish they could have stopped it, but if the person feels that they have an unbearable life.... then it is their choice!
People who threaten suicide don't really want to die, they are asking for help and that is the time that a friend can change their mind. I know because a friend once hinted to me that he was planning suicide, over Skype, when he was in Australia and I was in the UK. I called friends, out there, to go and help and he was taken into a clinic for several weeks..... but I did get a message from him, thanking me for saving his life.
That is true Twink, but then there are many others who use the threat of suicide as a means to getting their own way and controlling people they know care about them. It can be a very manipulative and nasty way to gain control over others.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

04-12-2016, 01:32 PM

Can I please ask for discretion? Some may figure things out. Today has been a heavy load for me-I had to share my feelings and emotions with someone.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
It is true that many attempt suicide as a way of asking for help-and that help is there amongst friends. But we will not be blackmailed,nor should we. And if the silly person refuses to take a blood test to check liver function we can only make suggestions. You realise this is just hypothetical-just musing on a novel I`m thinking about writing
If it really is hypothetical and you want to learn how people think... I am happy to help.
If it is a real friend, then you cannot force somebody to do what you think is right for them, you just need to understand why they are afraid of hearing the test results.... and maybe talk to them about how they feel.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

04-12-2016, 01:43 PM

The plot thickens-Chapter 3. You can take a horse to water-you cannot make it drink.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 02:10 PM

I'm afraid I do not understand this thread OG.

You indicate you might be being morally blackmailed, then you say it is only a hypothetical question, but after that ask you ask for people's discretion.
I would never intentionally be unkind to anyone in need, but what is there to be discreet about if nothing has really happened?
Sorry, but you've lost me completely even before you said about a Chapter 3 and horses to water.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top