Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:30 PM

Re: Ear wax

Art shops sell plastic tubes about 2 to 3 inches long, with a bulb bit on the end, they're quite narrow, smaller than a glass dropper.
They're useful for watercolour painting or dropping pigment into things etc. You could try one of those. (I take no responsibility for any damage)

I'd be careful putting anything in my ears!
My mum used to say, "Never put anything smaller than your elbow into your ears!"
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not sure about D.I.Y when it comes to sensitive organs like ears. Easy to perforate an ear-drum if you are not careful.

When I was a child (light years ago) my doctor once told me I should never put anything smaller than my right elbow in my left ear ! Took me a while to figure it out - but it was good advice.
Thanks for that ST. Yes, I know I will have to be careful. As I say, I've had them done regularly since childhood. As long as the wax is soft enough, it should be ok to do it, carefully.

Actually, I was terrible with my ears as a child. I used to put things in them, especially my hair. I used to wedge it in and put my head on the pillow. Bit like a comfort thing. Helped me to fall asleep

My ear drums must be made of leather
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:39 PM

Now Mrs Dobra uses salon hair colouring bottles, which have a spout to squirt it over her hair. I use a used empty one, and put in 6 Vols of Hydrogen Peroxide to about 20% and top up with warmish water. My GP did this about thirty years ago, and we both have an ear wash sessions about once a month.

H-P is a sterilizer and foams like anything to dissolve the wax. Cost is minimal.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:41 PM

Pesta, apart from all these suggestions, why don't you want to carry on with the nurse doing it for you? At least help is at hand if something went wrong.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:41 PM

Those of a nervous disposition, look away:

It's the bulb syringe thing I want. He says it's for babies. I know it's American, but maybe I should go and have a look in Mothercare for one.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-12-2016, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Now Mrs Dobra uses salon hair colouring bottles, which have a spout to squirt it over her hair. I use a used empty one, and put in 6 Vols of Hydrogen Peroxide to about 20% and top up with warmish water. My GP did this about thirty years ago, and we both have an ear wash sessions about once a month.

H-P is a sterilizer and foams like anything to dissolve the wax. Cost is minimal.
Dobra, I've heard about Hydrogen Peroxide in the ears recently, ie since looking for a little squirty thing. Not sure I would want to use that. Think I'll stick to my tried and tested olive oil

But at least you've given me another idea for a squirty bottle. Thank you!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-12-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pesta, apart from all these suggestions, why don't you want to carry on with the nurse doing it for you? At least help is at hand if something went wrong.
The surgery doesn't do it any more Mups. I have to go to another place and it take ages for an appt. Think the last time I waited a month. My ears get so full up with the olive oil, it's a nightmare having to wait for an appt.

I know what you mean in case something went wrong, but I think as long as I make sure the wax is soft enough and be careful with the water, it should be ok.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 10:52 PM

Karcher Pressure Washer should shift it Pesta.....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-12-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Karcher Pressure Washer should shift it Pesta.....

Oh you...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2016, 11:09 PM

Is this what you're looking for, Pesta?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acu-Life-40...ringe+for+ears

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top