Join for free
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 04:34 PM

Anyone tried Glucosamine Sulphate?

Just been and bought some Glucosamine Sulphate this morning. I am sick and tired of the pain in my knee so am trying everything.

I've had knee pain since June and it's getting no better. I used to go on brisk daily walks and really miss it. Today I had to go shopping and every step was painful. It's really getting me down.

MRI revealed a bit of arthritis and a tear in the cartilage. I am seeing a rheumatologist on Friday.

I can't take anti inflammatories so all I can take is paracetamol which doesn't help. I recently bought a very sturdy knee support which doesn't help much. I wore it today and still came home in pain.

I hear good things about GS and just wondered if it helps anybody on here?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 04:43 PM

Re: Anyone tried Glucosamine Sulphate?

It's like all these things, some swear by it while others say you're wasting your money.
I believe it does help with joint pain.
I take the liquid, two desert spoonfuls, at night.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 04:49 PM

My husband was in a great deal of knee pain after a long day out and walking about 10 miles around Goodwood earlier this year.

GP said arthritis and handed out prescription for strong painkillers.

Sister in law sent him to Sports Physio who diagnosed trapped nerve in lower back. Gave him exercises to do and several months later pain is minimal, only comes on during a long drive.

Sister in law's story was the same...GP said arthritis, Sports Physio said trapped nerve and gave her exercises. Result no pain.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 04:51 PM

Flowerpower, I use this one. Really nice people to deal with too.

http://www.lintbells.com/catalogsear...?cat=0&q=IMove

I didn't think it was doing much for me, so I stopped for a while. I certainly noticed the difference so went back on them again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Hi FP I personally wouldn't waste my money on Glucosamine, a number of double-blind trials have found it to be of no use though some trials and people disagree.

MRI revealed a bit of arthritis and a tear in the cartilage. I am seeing a rheumatologist on Friday.
I tore the meniscus in my knee some years ago and could hardly walk dragging myself down the fields to walk the dog with the aid of a stick. Had I fallen over I could never have got up again. I also got stuck in the bath

The doctor wasn't interested so I purchased a knee support and when possible elevated the knee and applied Ice. I read somewhere that a torn meniscus takes 3 months to heal and it did.

I still get the occasional pain in the same place and quickly resort to support/elevation and ice
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 05:01 PM

My Mum used to have them all the time, she has stopped now, but look at her now, 94 years of age and can still walk around.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 05:16 PM

Hi Flowerpower

Sorry to hear your plight.

My wife suffered from painful nagging arthritis in her hands. She tried MSM and Glucosamine capsules but they weren't hugely effective. However we discovered something called Glucosamine Gel which contains on capsicum extract (cayenne pepper) and this was remarkable. It killed the pain almost instantly. Another friend staying over from Canada who was suffering bad back pain rubbed some on and was equally astonished at the relief. She bought many tubes of it to take back with her.

You can get the gel from Holland and Barrett stores (blue tubes).

Aside from this relief of symptoms, we then set about researching what dietary changes would help. This also turned out to be hugely effective.

The No 1 change that removed the arthritis for months at a time, was to go on a Gluten Free diet for a couple of weeks.
I'm not up with the science behind this, but just by making this singular change, my wife had massive relief for prolonged periods. She's not in the least Gluten intolerant, but kicking gluten made a huge difference. So definitely try that.

The there are foods to avoid which include:

- refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and pastries
- French fries and other fried foods
- soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages
- red meat (burgers, steaks) and processed meat (hot dogs, sausage)
- margarine, shortening, and lard

Foods to eat more of which reduce inflammation include:

- tomatoes
- olive oil
- green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, and collards
- nuts like almonds and walnuts
- fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna, and sardines
- fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and oranges

Good luck
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 05:51 PM

I find diclofenac gel works better on joints than tablets, the stronger one on prescription is best.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2016, 07:12 PM

Certainly helped the pain in my hips, but it takes a while to have an effect, I take fish oil as well.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top