Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 02:39 PM

A bit of a fuss.

This photo has caused a bit of a fuss Up here in Newcastle.
Two armed police officers smiling for the camera, they were in the city center at the Christmas Market.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...smile-12307556

Might add that armed police are still rare up here, some are complaining about the armed police, and some about the fact they are smiling. Others are in support saying they feel safer with them about.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Re: A bit of a fuss.

And handsome fella's they are too.

Why were they there Nom? Was there trouble expected?
Something must have been going on surely.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 02:56 PM

What are the complaints about Nom , the fact that the police are armed or that they are smiling
I guess the policemen might have been asked to smile for the photograph not because they are armed..

Arming police is horrible *shudders* but sadly a necessity in some places at some times in these days of terrorist threats.

They are installing barriers to prevent suicide bombers around the famous Christmas market in Birmingham where some of my family are going next weekend, that makes me shudder too..

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...arket-12303948
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 03:05 PM

The police are saying its just part of them employing 50% more armed officers and its just presenting a presence on the streets in these changing times. But im sure they may have info that we are not privy too.

The IRA did attempt to blow up some oil tanks on the Tyne many years ago, but its a sign of changing times i suppose.

Many have complained about them smiling, stating they should not get so friendly with the public and to not pose with children.

Im sure other parts of the country are well used to this sight, we will have to get used to it im afraid.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 03:16 PM

I'm sure them taking 30 seconds to smile doesn't make them any less aware of their job.

What a sad world this has become.

Meg I can understand your shudders about Birmingham. Awful.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

12-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Thin end of the wedge perhaps, ive certainly seen more armed officers of late, must admit never noticed these two when i was there.

It would be a prime target stretches away don two separate streets and its stalls from all over the world packed with shoppers as its popular.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Sounds like they've got a whiff of something about to kick off over Christmas Nom. They are not telling the public to avoid panic.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 03:53 PM

They must have been expecting trouble otherwise they would not have sent these armed police there.

Yes they smiled, good for them. What a crazy world we live in that people complain about them smiling.

We see armed police in some airports and train stations now, would I prefer them not to be there, yes but only because everything was safe, and we know it isn't.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 04:09 PM

I suspect that with Christmas being a religious holiday and thoughts that a terrorist attack is expected in Britain, they are just being extra careful. ( if somebody wanted to cause devastation in a British city, there wouldn't be a better time than Christmas to achieve it!)
I think it is good that the policemen can smile, because their jobs they do will not always be happy occasions.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sounds like they've got a whiff of something about to kick off over Christmas Nom. They are not telling the public to avoid panic.

Hmmmm - could that be the smell of sausages, burgers and curry cooking from the Xmas market???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top