Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Re: Theo Paphitis On BRExit

I sometimes thought that my vote to leave the EU was in contradiction to some very clever and intelligent people who were in a position to know a lot more about the issue than I did.
Could I have been wrong with my decision to exit the EU? After being born well before the inception of the common market, I have witnessed the rise and rise of the EU, and seeing the all consuming monster it has turned out to be. So it just 'felt right' to stop our country being sucked into the quicksand of oblivion.

So it is so inspiring to hear that someone of Theo's calibre has seen all that is wrong with the Idea of a federal Europe and its implications on the UK. Good on you Theo....Respect.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 12:12 AM

I love Theo!

Also, Tim Martin owner of JD Whetherspoon's pub chain. He threatened to stop selling all European drinks during the Brexit bullying.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 01:20 AM

A very welcome to the list of 'celebrities' who support Brexit. In addition, because he is a well known and successful businessman, his contribution must carry even more weight.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Some rousing thoughts from Dragon's Den's Theo Paphitis

https://www.retail-week.com/topics/p...008573.article

"In my opinion, the EU is no longer a trading bloc but a failed experiment with unrealistic expansionist ambitions which does not sit well with the British public who value their deeply ingrained democracy, unlike many of the newly democratised members with the majority of their citizens experiencing democracy for the first time.

It is difficult to imagine how anybody can really believe that you can have monetary union without political union, which is why I suspect strongly that unless the EU moves to a Federalist union (which is blatantly not acceptable to the citizens of the United Kingdom) or it majorly reforms, it will collapse with unknown consequences"

"The United Kingdom is the fifth largest economy in the world and as the EU’s biggest internal customer, we buy a lot more from them than they do from us.

We have a defence force revered the world over and a rich heritage of democracy and world trade."

Britain's Place In The World Order

"So let’s not underestimate our role in the world order. We are not Greece or Cyprus, who can be slapped around and punished by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats.

I have been appalled to read some of the sentiment coming out of so-called EU leaders. Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, said that the British people would be classified as “deserters” if they exercised their democratic right to vote leave, stirring emotions in many minds from the tragic period of the First World War and Angela Merkel further saying that if we vote leave we will not be treated with kid gloves.

This is the sort of language that has exactly the opposite effect on me and a vast swathe of the British public that will not be blackmailed or bullied, which is precisely the attitude which makes the United Kingdom great and attracted my parents to up sticks from their home in Cyprus and emigrate here with my brother and myself in the 1960s in search of a better life. "
This is dated two days before the referendum.

How far back do you have to go to find one person's opinion?

Rather smacks of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

and let's not forget that for some who already trade outside the EU the result doesn't matter that much. JCB doesn't give a hoot since it sells to customers who can absorb the devaluation of the pound he has to pay for in raw materials and still make a lot of money.
Not so the thousands of small traders.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I love Theo!

Also, Tim Martin owner of JD Whetherspoon's pub chain. He threatened to stop selling all European drinks during the Brexit bullying.
OH was in the brewery trade most of his working life and tells me this man is bonkers.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
OH was in the brewery trade most of his working life and tells me this man is bonkers.

Logistics or brewing?
Flicker
France

14-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Did it not ever occur to you that barrels brewed in a brewery have to be transported around the country and shipped overseas??

He was a distribution manager for a very large brewery and also is a qualified accountant.

Is that OK by you?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:44 AM

Did it not ever occur to you that barrels brewed in a brewery have to be transported around the country and shipped overseas??

He was a distribution manager for a very large brewery and also is a qualified accountant.

Is that OK by you?
If all remainers are as bad tempered as you Flicker I'm glad I'm on the other team.
Flicker
France

14-12-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
If all remainers are as bad tempered as you Flicker I'm glad I'm on the other team.
I get annoyed when someone makes a stupid remark in an effort to catch someone else out and show them up when a small degree of thought might reveal the obvious.

Read back to see where the sarcasm started.
With Tregonsee @ 10:34 this morning.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 12:20 PM

I get annoyed when someone makes a stupid remark in an effort to catch someone else out and show them up when a small degree of thought might reveal the obvious.

Read back to see where the sarcasm started.
With Tregonsee @ 10:34 this morning.
That's 9.34 am GMT

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top