Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 10:26 PM

EU Regulations Gone Mad

So glad to be leaving this power-mad bunch of idiots.

Many are aware that before referendum the EU bureaucrats were planning a crackdown on various home appliances which use a lot of energy.

Hairdryers, lawn mowers, and electric kettles are three categories out of 29 that could face restrictions, and the EU aims to choose about 20 as priorities.

These and the myriad of other regulations that have previously been imposed are surely one of the reasons people feel the EU is a bureaucratic nightmare

How daft does this all get?

Well here's a list of everyday products and the number of EU regulations that have to be met concerning them. See what you think:

Pillows - 109 regulations
Bed Sheets - 49
Sunglasses - 225
Shampoo - 118
Towels - 454
Towel Holders - 36
Bread - 1246
Milk - 12653
Spoons - 210
Orange Juice - 202
Coffee - 625

and so it goes on !

What a load of old tosh

And here we are with Orange Juice as an example, being in the main a product kept for about a year in large vats, which then loses its colour and taste and has to be subsequently revived with "flavour packs" being added to it. The majority of OJ is like this regardless of what it says on the packet.

We have milk that is heat treated to within an inch of its life thereby destroying all the goodness and nutrients in it. A product that used to be wholesome and healthy when it was Raw Milk. Producers of Raw Milk are now few and far between.

Bread, that most basic of foods, which has been with us for 1000s of years, which needs only 4 ingredients (Flour, Water, Yeast and Salt) ! 1246 regulations !

The world has truly lost its way. We need to go back to basics, learn from our former generations and ancestors and rid ourselves of these EU bureaucratic morons bent on world domination.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 10:54 PM

Re: EU Regulations Gone Mad

Yep Realist, that's why I voted to come out.
Trouble is, how many people will be employed to enforce these rules and regulations, not to mention all of the Admin?
Money down the drain.....
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 10:57 PM

Think of madmen running an asylum, that's the only scenario that makes sense to me when I read the majority of what comes out from there...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 11:04 PM

I agree with you Realist, the World has lost it's way indeed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 12:44 AM

Yes, I've mentioned elsewhere two ridiculous and counterproductive regulations.

Vacuum cleaner motors being limited in power consumption to save energy.
The result: less powerful suction and people will spend more time vacuuming; the same or quite probably more electrical energy used.

Toilet cisterns being limited in capacity to save water.
The result: less effective flush and people will flush twice (or more) in order to dispose of the nasties; twice as much (or more) water used.

It stretches my credulity to work out how these people's minds work.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

It stretches my credulity to work out how these people's minds work.
That one is easy to answer, JBR. They don't !
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:07 AM

Bread, that most basic of foods, which has been with us for 1000s of years, which needs only 4 ingredients (Flour, Water, Yeast and Salt) ! 1246 regulations !

You picked this out for comment so I will comment.

The regulations cover both imports and exports.

Flour and its varieties, origins, grades and additives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour

Yeast varieties:

http://foodreference.about.com/od/In...-Varieties.htm

Chemical additives to water change the way yeast behaves. If you have made bread you know this.

Next time you are in a supermarket look at the huge variety of breads available. Then tell me bread is bread.

The same principle applies to every other item on your list. Sources for products are global and market demand uniformity plus those businesses that cut corners can be brought up to speed or fined.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That one is easy to answer, JBR. They don't !
Reference minds...

I agree. They don't.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->

You picked this out for comment so I will comment.

The regulations cover both imports and exports.

Flour and its varieties, origins, grades and additives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour

Yeast varieties:

http://foodreference.about.com/od/In...-Varieties.htm

Chemical additives to water change the way yeast behaves. If you have made bread you know this.

Next time you are in a supermarket look at the huge variety of breads available. Then tell me bread is bread.

The same principle applies to every other item on your list. Sources for products are global and market demand uniformity plus those businesses that cut corners can be brought up to speed or fined.
We are the Borg.
Flicker
France

21-12-2016, 11:53 AM

Not at all. There are clearly many many products you can use.

My purpose was to demonstrate that general and derisive criticism of the EU is often the result of a lack of a quick google check to find out.

BTW if UK companies want to sell to the EU it will also have to abide by the rules.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top