Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 10:15 PM

Re: Mobiles blocked whilst driving

I avoid this temptation very easily.
I don't own a mobile phone or a credit card - and only use the computer for this sort of crap.

Allergic to the 21st Century.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I avoid this temptation very easily.
I don't own a mobile phone or a credit card - and only use the computer for this sort of crap.

Allergic to the 21st Century.
Of course not. I understand that mobile phones and credit cards haven't found their way to the antipodean colonies yet.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 10:32 PM

Yep, backward lot that we are.

" John O’Sullivan is an Australian electrical engineer whose work in the application of Fourier transforms to radio astronomy led to his invention with colleagues of a core technology that made wireless LAN fast and reliable.

This technology was patented by CSIRO and forms part of the 802.11a, 802.11g and 802.11n Wi-Fi standards and thus John O'Sullivan is also credited with the invention of WIFI
."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_O'Sullivan_(engineer)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 08:58 AM

I don't know how to connect the bluetooth.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't know how to connect the bluetooth.
Usually it's done over dinner ,invite your blue tooth along and introduce it to your car
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 11:28 AM

In NSW it is effectively illegal to touch your phone at all while the engine is running. Even if you want to only use the satNav facility that still applies though of course you can listen to the directions but you mustn't touch the phone. If you want to use the phone or adjust the phones satnav system it is not good enough to just be stationary the engine must be off too.

Doesn't apply to hands free phones (bluetooth etc) or an individual SatNav

Mind you you still see plenty of people holding and using their phones while driving.

Mind you once you are outside the cities the phones don't work anyway. When I first came to Australia you knew when you were within 10km of a town because the bitumin would start, These days you tell you are near a town because your phone springs into life.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 11:43 AM

I suppose they'd have to include police radios......so how would a cop give a running commentary to the control room?
saphire17
England
saphire17 is female  saphire17 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Maybe if there was a custodial sentence if caught using a phone while driving more would think twice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by saphire17 ->
Maybe if there was a custodial sentence if caught using a phone while driving more would think twice.
I agree. We managed perfectly well before we had mobile phones, I don't know why people feel they can't wait until they are not driving before using a phone.

The toll of deaths caused by people using phones while driving is growing rapidly. Someone I know was just behind the accident near Newbury in August where a woman and three children were killed because a lorry driver was messing with his phone . She has been badly traumatised by the experience.

I have had a near miss caused by an idiot using a phone while turning off a side road .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 12:15 PM

Let's ban cars.....we managed with horse and carts.

More deaths are caused by bad drivers.....its more important to up the driving test.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top