Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:45 AM

Re: Golfers with Buggies ( mobility scooter etc)

Thanks for all the replies. My purpose in posting this was to invite a discussion.

I agree with a lot of what is being said. My only reservation concerns the suggestion of keeping motobility scooters off the pavement. We have a lot of them around here, and while they are a nuisance and a possible danger, they are a godsend for invalids. Without them they would require someone to push them around, or never go out.

In this part of Bedfordshire housing is growing at a tremendous rate. This means a large increase in the number of children cycling to school. Because of the amount of traffic, they are encouraged by police to cycle on pavements. This is more dangerous than the motobility scooters
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Anything that goes on the road should pay road tax and have insurance imo, including horses.
Bicycles should, also,be required to have insurance cover.

They're on the pavements, faster than mobility Scooters, and totally un-controlled.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
All you golfers who use Buggies, get your cash ready. The EU has announced plans to make them have Motor Insurance. This also applies to Fairground Dodgem Cars and childres ride on cars.

Anyone for Brexit?
At our club, anyone who hires a buggy is insured by the club.

Anyone who uses his own (mobility version) has to cover his own liability.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

21-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I hope they'll include mobility buggies......and the UK will adopt the idea.
Legally mobility buggies are required to have insurance for when they go "along" the road.

As I understand it insurance is not required, but is advised, for the act of just "crossing the road" to get to the other side.

The same rules do not apply to bicycles!
Bikes should be banned from footpaths/pavements. IMO
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
It could be...do you know what the terms of coverage is when you use these "products"?
what get-out clauses there are?
link for you to look at

PLI
https://www.confused.com/home-and-li...lity-insurance

Third party insurance

http://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/know...ity-insurance/

each or either depends on which company the insurance is taken out with as to content
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
Thanks for all the replies. My purpose in posting this was to invite a discussion.

I agree with a lot of what is being said. My only reservation concerns the suggestion of keeping motobility scooters off the pavement. We have a lot of them around here, and while they are a nuisance and a possible danger, they are a godsend for invalids. Without them they would require someone to push them around, or never go out.

In this part of Bedfordshire housing is growing at a tremendous rate. This means a large increase in the number of children cycling to school. Because of the amount of traffic, they are encouraged by police to cycle on pavements. This is more dangerous than the motobility scooters
The problem is IMO lack of training, you can't drive a car without passing a test so why anyone can get on a bike or a mobility scooter without any test of competence puzzles me.

I'd also say some scooters are not needed, I know at least three people banned from driving (drunks) who have taken to driving mobility scooters to the pub and back. Not necessary and very dangerous.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 03:16 PM

OS wrote:

If I can repost his OP.

All you golfers who use Buggies, get your cash ready. The EU has announced plans to make them have Motor Insurance. This also applies to Fairground Dodgem Cars and childres ride on cars.

Anyone for Brexit?

Followed by
My purpose in posting this was to invite a discussion.

Forgive me for thinking this as another desperate attempt at trashing the EU.
Course I only wrote that to invite a discussion...
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Anything that goes on the road should pay road tax and have insurance imo, including horses.
I'm a horse owner a have a horse and rider insurance including public liability , as do most riders.
I'm also a golf widow golf clubs have massive public liability insurance that covers buggy users.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2016, 09:51 PM

So cyclists should not ride on the pavement. OK so they should use the cycle lanes that are marked in the kerb on many main roads.
Does this include young children on their little bikes with wheels of 16" or under?
How many of you critics know that bicycles with wheels of 16" or under are ARE ALLOWED TO RIDE ON THE PAVEMENT.
This rule was made for youngsters and their bikes.
Also I as an elderly person can also ride on the pavement as I have amongst my bicycles a Brompton folding bike, that has 16" wheels. But I don't.
Disability scooters also have wheels under 16".
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 03:54 PM

Unless they have lights and indicators golf buggies are not allowed on the road
So why would they need insurance on a golf course? there on private land

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top