Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 07:04 PM

Re: Night cramps.

Yes I gt them often,Sometimes they go if I move my leg around, otherwise I have to get out of bed and move my legsa bit ,or walk a bit.Its hard to get back to sleep again though
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 07:08 PM

I get them now and again, i normally get up and walk onto the cold floor in the bathroom. That was a remedy for getting rid of them years ago from when i use to go swimming and get cramp, they always said get out of the bath and stand or walk on the cold tiles...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 11:03 AM

Thanks everybody. I'll try all the different things - especially the tonic water.
Is it ok if I put a vodka in it?
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Just a bit more explanation about the tonic water. I usually take a small 250ml bottle to bed with me and drink half of it whilst reading and waiting to drop off to sleep. It always works than goodness. Good luck, and let us know how you progress.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
I used to suffer terribly from night cramps and restless leg syndrome and it is now cured! Quinine is the answer. I visited the chemists about 10 yrs ago and talked it through with him. Although Quinine can't be bought nowadays he recommended that I buy tonic water at the supermarket but read the label first to make sure that quinine is one of the ingredients. I've found that the cheapest, usually Supermarket own brand contains the stuff and the more expensive brand names don't. Morrisons do a 6 pack of diet tonic water 250ml each bottle. It has worked for everyone I have recommended it to.
Yes my husband has a glass of tonic water every evening about an hour before bedtime...our GP recommended it.
He very rarely gets night cramp now.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I woke up at 4.30 this morning with the most excruciating cramp in my left calf muscle. No amount of pummelling and massaging helped. In the end I got up and pottered about. It went after about half an hour - not before it had ruined my nights sleep though!

I wondered if anybody else gets these night cramps and can anything be done to prevent it?
Don't know if this will help but it does for me.

When waking up and you stretch your legs don't push your toes downwards but push them up stops the musles in the legs cramping
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
When waking up and you stretch your legs don't push your toes downwards but push them up stops the musles in the legs cramping
This is true galty.....if the cramp is in your calf muscle, pulling your toes upwards activates the opposite muscle.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2016, 10:50 PM

Funny, I remember my old Keep Fit teacher telling us that.
Some people got cramp doing certain exercises, and she said to sit on the floor, legs out straight, and pull your toes towards you and hold till the cramp subsides.
If you can catch hold of your big toes with your fingers and gently pull them towards you, so much the better.
It really does work.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:11 AM

I can't remember who it was, but someone on here some time ago suggested standing on one's heels as a means of staving off the need to urinate.

I have found that doing a similar thing - flexing my ankles by raising my feet and stretching my calf muscles - whilst in bed, achieves the same thing. Importantly, this also removes a feeling of cramp in that part of the body and so deals with two inconveniences in one go!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I can't remember who it was, but someone on here some time ago suggested standing on one's heels as a means of staving off the need to urinate.

I have found that doing a similar thing - flexing my ankles by raising my feet and stretching my calf muscles - whilst in bed, achieves the same thing. Importantly, this also removes a feeling of cramp in that part of the body and so deals with two inconveniences in one go!
No cramp! No damp!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top