Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 02:02 PM

Re: History- Robin Hood

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Fantastic statue of Robin in Nottingham.
Is this the one ?

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I just don’t trust history anymore, when I was in my twenties I would spend a lot of time talking to old people about the past, you can get some really accurate history when you speak to old people, but they can only go back so far, a pity.

I think it is up to us to savour any tiny morsel of history for our families and generations to come. Times change so quickly and communities are pretty standard now. Old family values and stories are most important, they can eventually reveal so much that may have been forgotten. It also can give a sense of identity to those who seem to yearn more and more for roots, and with so many broken homes for children, who knows who it might help one day.
Even that 'clip' over the ear hole we got for telling lies. Not allowed to 'clip' kids ears now, that will be seen to be something horrific in years to come.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 03:57 PM

Think that Robin Hood was a leftie...he would rob the rich to give to the poor....Leftie rubbish.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2016, 04:59 PM

Word of mouth and memories can span the years very quickly if the generations live to a ripe old age.
My Grandfather told me that as a child his Grandfather used to repeat stories that his Father told him about his part in the Battle of Waterloo.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

31-12-2016, 01:41 AM

Ha ! It looks like Robin has died a death.

Taking your point Poohdog (is that really the name you chose? )

Some wonderful stories are there to be told and only when we get older do we realise how we should have asked more questions.
I never asked either of my parents what they did on Christmas day, what Santa brought them or what they had for dinner. Dad came from a poor family of 3 children, as his father had died when he was only 6 months old, and as you no doubt know there were no state benefits then. He did once mention a new penny and a tangerine...maybe that was all he ever got.
My life is full to the brim with travel and tales, living in foreign countries and strange happenings, before I had a family,but my kids know nothing about it all really. They never asked and I've never told them.. Strange isn't it ?
Must do better (memo to self)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2016, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I never asked either of my parents what they did on Christmas day, what Santa brought them or what they had for dinner. Dad came from a poor family of 3 children, as his father had died when he was only 6 months old, and as you no doubt know there were no state benefits then. He did once mention a new penny and a tangerine...maybe that was all he ever got.
My life is full to the brim with travel and tales, living in foreign countries and strange happenings, before I had a family,but my kids know nothing about it all really. They never asked and I've never told them.. Strange isn't it ?
Must do better (memo to self)
I feel the same thing.

If I had the chance again, I'd ask my father such things. He was born in 1910 and would have been a young child in the First World War and an older child during the Depression. Then, I'd love to know more about when he served in the Second WW: North Africa, Italy, France, Germany. Too late now, I'm afraid.

My mother was much younger than him, born in 1927. As a young girl I believe she did some sort of work during the war but I can't remember exactly what. Again, too late now.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 09:21 PM

King Arthur, fact or fiction.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
King Arthur, fact or fiction.
Just like Robin Hood, an imaginary figure based on what would have been a number of Romano-Britons who resisted the Anglo-Saxon invasion.

In the case of Robin Hood, of course, it was an Anglo-Saxon who resisted the Normans.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 10:36 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient...rthur_01.shtml
Found this interesting.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 10:43 PM

I do get a little worried that he led a band of merry men ( could be interpretated as gay)
One called Little John, I wonder why?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top