Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 04:23 PM

A new advance in diagnostics,

A new breathalyzer which can detect 17 different conditions, including cancers, has been developed.

http://qz.com/873521/scientists-have...rom-a-patient/

Not yet 100% accurate, but it is getting there quickly.

A sign of things to come.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 05:30 PM

Re: A new advance in diagnostics,

I know nothing about Science at all Swimmy, I'm worse than useless in fact.

However, all this 'Gold nano particules' and stuff
how come dogs can sniff out cancers and other dreadful diseases without the help of all this?

You might want to peruse this and see what your scientific mind thinks about it.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, any method of early detecton is hugely important.

https://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org...etection-dogs/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know nothing about Science at all Swimmy, I'm worse than useless in fact.

However, all this 'Gold nano particules' and stuff
how come dogs can sniff out cancers and other dreadful diseases without the help of all this?

You might want to peruse this and see what your scientific mind thinks about it.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, any method of early detecton is hugely important.

https://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org...etection-dogs/
Hi

All the machine is is a mechanical dog's nose, which is designed to register certain odours which indicate disease.

A dog's nose is an incredible bit of kit, very hard to reproduce technically.

However good the dog's nose is, it is nowhere near the best nose around, horses are better, but best of all is the elephant.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

All the machine is is a mechanical dog's nose, which is designed to register certain odours which indicate disease.

A dog's nose is an incredible bit of kit, very hard to reproduce technically.

However good the dog's nose is, it is nowhere near the best nose around, horses are better, but best of all is the elephant.:-)

Really? Wow. I think I remember reading horses can smell water miles away, but I didn't know about elephants too.
Why do humans think they know everything and are so superior in every way. .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Hi

Assistance dogs are marvellous things, incredibly intelligent.

The following is a photo of a hearing dog before and after it's owner signed it "Good Boy"

http://i.imgur.com/Utjec6p.jpg
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 07:25 PM

Sounds an amazing step forward doesn't it, the only problem is once the conditions have been detected/ diagnosed will it be possible to get treatment in our overflowing Doctors surgeries and Hospitals.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-12-2016, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Sounds an amazing step forward doesn't it, the only problem is once the conditions have been detected/ diagnosed will it be possible to get treatment in our overflowing Doctors surgeries and Hospitals.

Good point Meg. Around here, we can't get X-Ray or Scan results at the moment.
I had a chest x-ray a month ago and still the GP can't get the results.
I went on their website myself, to see if there was anything I could do about it, and there was a lot of waffle about some brand new state of the art equipment just installed has conked out! On top of that they have not enough staff available to interpret results and send to the doctors anyway. Apparently they are working Saturdays and Sundays to try and get through the back log of scans, but still can't catch up.

My GP told me she waited 6 months to get one of her patient's scan results back!!
I've never seen anything as bad as this is now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top