Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 09:33 PM

Spelling and grammar

Ok I'm not that good at spelling and my grammar isn't brilliant but I'm increasingly seeing teachers on the internet who spell worse than I do ! What is that saying about how kids are being taught ? One thing I love about having take Grace out of the local school is the one she now attends is crazy strict on spelling and grammar, if they get it wrong its explained again, they are tested again and again until they get it right.

I am seeing 8 year olds able to spell better than some teachers !

Shouldn't we expect the same in all schools ? It really does make a difference to a child's confidence that they know how to structure and spell a sentance.

Or am I being too nit picky ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 10:02 PM

Re: Spelling and grammar

No, you're not being picky. Poor spelling really irritates me especially on forums such as this when the use of freely available spell-checker browser add-ons could be used.

Don't some posters proof read their posts before clicking on the submit reply button?

[/endrant]
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
No, you're not being picky. Poor spelling really irritates me especially on forums such as this when the use of freely available spell-checker browser add-ons could be used.

Don't some posters proof read their posts before clicking on the submit reply button?

[/endrant]
Yu want two tri thit on a fone with sooch small butons.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 04:37 AM

Yes, we can get a bit pedantic about this I suppose.
We all make mistakes from time to time - fatigue, keying errors, English/American/Australian variations etc etc.

But online posts, without facial expressions, body language or emphasis are so easily misunderstood.
For that reason, correct spelling, punctuation (particularly) and spacing can simply avoid a lot of problems.

Whilst we all err - and some might easily pick flaws in this post -
I confess I do take less notice of those who consistently mutilate the language.
I shouldn't but I do.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:42 AM

I suppose it boils down to the difference between knowing you're shit and knowing your shit.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 10:54 AM

I was very thoroughly taught spelling and grammar at my ,er, Grammar School. I can’t help noticing errors on the forum. I know that I shouldn’t mind but my training was so thorough that it really pains when I see the mistakes.

It’s my problem, I realise.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Crikey life is too short to sweat the small stuff if you can understand what is being expressed what does it really matter ?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:12 PM

We were brought up in a politically correct manner, the way we speak and spell and do things the way we were told when we were young ... It's all gone out of the window now. Some young ones cannot write properly they have to write in text?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:16 PM

We were taught to speak, spell and use grammar correctly.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Crikey life is too short to sweat the small stuff if you can understand what is being expressed what does it really matter ?
Well I was talking about teachers teaching, I think it's extremely important I have a GP can't spell, that's dangerous, I am often asked at work by the younger office workers to proof read for them as their spelling is worse than mine and their jobs rely on making correct blurb for book jackets.

I'm not upset at chatty forum posts sounding more like conversation than prose but even jobs like being a hospital porter is safer if the person can spell, mix up at our local hospital meant the wrong man was sent home when it was a just a simple wrong spelling caused the error.

I always think you can ignore the rules if you know them, but a teacher not knowing to, too, two or right, write etc is not going to help pupils get or maintain jobs in Britain.

Surely we need to ensure teaching is absolute best it can be if we are going to make our way in the world again ?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top