Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 08:22 PM

Re: Jeremy Hunt states only 'one or two hospitals' are in trouble .

Personally, I think the 4 hr waiting time has been managed accordingly , in our local hospital. On numerous occasions, with family members and friends, being admitted to A & E, for what ever reason, they all seemed to have to wait the statutory 4 hrs. Then a doc would come along. No activity for anyone , all beds taken, and everyone seemed to have to wait 4 hrs. Then they would be talked to , tested, scans, whatever. To my mind the hospital has run it's A & E with a view of rather than speeding up the process, they have deliberately made the actual 4hr waiting time part of the necessary criteria to accommodate the 'over worked' sympathy vote.
The test being when they stand in the centre isle and talk about holidays, where they went at the weekend, when the next party is etc. whilst tapping away on the keyboard, possibly entering wrong info too.
Undoubtedly , there are more patients in the winter months, which is also questionable when phoning for an appointment at the local surgery, there are none available until 10 days time. Pop into the surgery on a week day morning and there's a handful of patients in the waiting room of about 70 seating capacity. On one occasion I went early afternoon the car park was full and not a sole in the waiting room. Maybe they were having another staff meeting ! Who knows.
Moan, moan, moan it gets me annoyed and as one poster pointed out this started long ago in 2000, when it was introduced.
If you can't get a GP appointment, where do you go ? Around the corner to the A & E .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If the NHS were to get it's house in order and charge all migrants and tourists for healthcare, it would have a lot more funding.

I am fed up with the UK not charging when everyone else does.

The admin costs for charging can also be recovered, so I really cannot see what the problem is.

When I was waiting for an eye checkup after the operation there was one man openly stating that he had come back from Soth Africa, being now retired after living out there most of his life, as the hospitals out there he could not afford.
So he has come back to the UK to live for free medical treatment with the NHS.

My wrist when I fell a few months ago still hurt and can't close my fist fully as it is still swollen. But why should I take up valueable DR/hospital time when others may need it more?

So I havn't bothered, I can stll get 80% use from my hand
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 08:42 PM

Hi

Our Local GP Surgery operates a Traffic Light System, Red. Amber. Green.

If you phone in for an Urgent appointment, the same day. a GP will ring you back and take a decision.

They are not idiots however, they know who is who.

The advantage of living in a small village, some of us hate going to the Docs.

One of my neighbors is always there, the least little sniffle.

Another one, a Farmer, will only ring up in dire circumstances, he has cows to milk.

It is the same at the Local Hospital, which only has a Minor Injuries Unit, quite used to sowing stitches to get them into work.

That is what the NHS is for, not sniffles.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 09:33 PM

Jeremy Hunt still insists its only a few Hospital having problems, despite health officials telling him different & says he'd be happy for any of his family to go in one.Really!!! If any of his family went into hospital theyd probably go private
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 10:46 PM

I stabbed myself tonight knife up wrong way In dishwasher all I wanted was a plaster, three other members of staff kept insisting I needed a and e, I can only say I despair if that's what people are going there for because it really only needed a plaster until it stopped bleeding. Another lady was upset her GP had not given her antibiotics for her cold, couldn't understand it at all.

We need some sort of education programme in first aid and when it's appropriate to go to gp and a and e.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Another lady was upset her GP had not given her antibiotics for her cold, couldn't understand it at all.
I sometimes find it difficult to believe just how thick some people can be.

After all the times it has been publicised that antibiotics are ineffective against viruses (colds, flu, etc), and still some idiots are insisting that their doctors should prescribe them.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 09:39 AM

You really have to fight your corner for treatment and attention from the NHS . We had a terrible time last year won't go into details other than to say the life prolonging medication need by a family member wasn't available on the NHS till near death due to costs.
By then all hope is lost.
After many phone calls letters and our GP advice we managed to get on a medical research trial for a German company with the promise of the much needed medication as a reward. The tablets are now sent and paid for by the Germany Co.
If we didn't have the wherewithal and relied on the NHS it doesn't bare thinking about. We would of sold up and moved to Germany or China the tablets 2 a day cost £75 each .
I understand the NHS hasn't got bottomless pockets however this scenario has now become common.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
You really have to fight your corner for treatment and attention from the NHS . We had a terrible time last year won't go into details other than to say the life prolonging medication need by a family member wasn't available on the NHS till near death due to costs.
By then all hope is lost.
After many phone calls letters and our GP advice we managed to get on a medical research trial for a German company with the promise of the much needed medication as a reward. The tablets are now sent and paid for by the Germany Co.
If we didn't have the wherewithal and relied on the NHS it doesn't bare thinking about. We would of sold up and moved to Germany or China the tablets 2 a day cost £75 each .
I understand the NHS hasn't got bottomless pockets however this scenario has now become common.
What I don't understand and think is heartless is you can't even offer to pay for part of your treatment, if you do you find yourself off the treatment list having to fund all your medical care !
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What I don't understand and think is heartless is you can't even offer to pay for part of your treatment, if you do you find yourself off the treatment list having to fund all your medical care !
It's heartless . We would of willing paid 50% or more .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
If you can't get a GP appointment, where do you go ? Around the corner to the A & E .
No to the local health centre.

If its late at night yes then the A @ E as long as its not a headache or some drunk.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top