Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
60fox
London
60fox is male  60fox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 04:02 AM

Brexit Give it a Break

Maybe its just me but.
The country voted on this a while back and although the result was an unexpected 'leave' the deed is done.

Perhaps we should just let the job get done and look forward to the £350 Million Pounds a week extra which will, be able to spent on the NHS, as daubed on the side of the Boris Bus which we all saw. For as we are now seeing the NHS desperately needs an injection of cash ASAP.

Or have I read since then that such a sum of money is but a pipe dream, Yes I think it was.

Meanwhile I will as everyone else continue to read , watch and listen as all those who feel compelled to talk about Brexit go on and on and on and on, Whoops I nearly nodded off then.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 08:44 AM

Re: Brexit Give it a Break

Originally Posted by 60fox ->
Maybe its just me but.
The country voted on this a while back and although the result was an unexpected 'leave' the deed is done.

Perhaps we should just let the job get done and look forward to the £350 Million Pounds a week extra which will, be able to spent on the NHS, as daubed on the side of the Boris Bus which we all saw. For as we are now seeing the NHS desperately needs an injection of cash ASAP.

Or have I read since then that such a sum of money is but a pipe dream, Yes I think it was.

Meanwhile I will as everyone else continue to read , watch and listen as all those who feel compelled to talk about Brexit go on and on and on and on, Whoops I nearly nodded off then.
A point I have been trying to raise on this forum for a few weeks 60fox, but a couple of people just wont let it drop. What is the point of discussing decisions that cannot be changed? I think we should all be looking forward to how well we can make this work, rather than grumbling about a majority decision that they didn't like.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 60fox ->
Firstly, it is necessary to clarify the actual nett amount we pay to the EU.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

"The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2015 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.5 billion.

Each year the UK gets an instant discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth almost £5 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £18 billion in contributions.
"

Which is a roundabout way of saying that we actually pay £8.5 billion per year.

£8,500,000,000 divided by 52 = £163,461,538 per week paid nett of any money spent by the EU on the UK which, of course, is paid on the proviso that they specify on what we may spend it!

So we would save over £163 million per week.

It is unlikely that the government would spend all that money on the NHS, but even half of that would make an enormous difference to its funding.

If they had any sense, you could add to that a lot more saved by charging health tourists and redirecting foreign aid into the NHS. These latter two, of course, could be done right now.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 05:16 PM

I expect the discussions will go on for as long as extricating ourselves from the EU takes, which could be a while ... every time May makes a move in the one step forward and two back dance ... or hopefully two steps forwards and one step back dance, folk will have an opinion on it.
I don't actually mind that.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 06:17 PM

I just tend to skip over the Brexit threads Twink theres not a gun to my head making me participate thankfully
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I just tend to skip over the Brexit threads Twink theres not a gun to my head making me participate thankfully
I agree, Aysa, as this is a forum, and in a forum many people learn about, and are updated, on what the current thinking is.

Nobody is forced to read the posts

If you are bored with something, don't read it!

Others will differ.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I agree, Aysa, as this is a forum, and in a forum many people learn about, and are updated, on what the current thinking is.

Nobody is forced to read the posts

If you are bored with something, don't read it!

Others will differ.
It isn't Brexit I am bored with, it is the constant drone of those who keep saying that we will regret the vote to leave. I am interested in any new developments in the procedure of leaving, but you have to read through all the constant moans, of people who wanted to remain, to find them!
I just see little point in discussing a vote result, that happened over 6 months ago and isn't going to change!
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 02:15 PM

I'm actually enjoying the whole Brexit experience.

I think it will be a bumpy ride but we will land on our feet and no longer be slaves to the EU.

Rule Brittania was playing some where last week and when it came to the line 'Britons never, never, never will be slaves.' I had a lump in my throat.

I was struck by the thought, we are taking back what was taken from us.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
I'm actually enjoying the whole Brexit experience.

I think it will be a bumpy ride but we will land on our feet and no longer be slaves to the EU.

Rule Brittania was playing some where last week and when it came to the line 'Britons never, never, never will be slaves.' I had a lump in my throat.

I was struck by the thought, we are taking back what was taken from us.
I agree 100%
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2017, 02:27 PM

I am not bored with the discussions about leaving the EU is the most important and exciting thing to happen to this country in years .

I do find certain posts on the subject by those with a visible chip on their shoulders boring but I can quickly discount and skim over their contributions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top