Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 04:13 PM

Ancestry dna

Has anyone else had this done?

It's a sister site to an Ancestry Search.

I had it done about four months ago and it was what I expected with a few surprises.

Europe West 50%
Which comprises of:
Germany
Nederlands
France
Switzerland
Austria

Scandinavia 25%
Ireland 10%
Great Britain 7%
Trace Regions 8%

The trace regions were:

Iberian Peninsula 5%
Europe East 2%
European Jewish 1%

So my people have all stayed within the same corner of the globe, where we all originally started out from is anyone's guess.

It can also link you up to family members you didn't know you had. It flagged me up with a close dna match to someone who now lives in America who was born in the next town over from me. There are also 360 matches of cousins from fourth to eighth.

I messaged her but she hadn't logged into the site since June. I would have loved to have a chat and discover our connection.

I'm assuming the Irish and British percentages are the poor women who were kidnapped by the Vikings and Saxons, I was born in Lower Saxony.

I find this all fascinating, really just to discover something you couldn't possibly have known without the advances in dna.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 04:20 PM

Re: Ancestry dna

I'm not sure about this Silbee...
Unless I was coming out as 100% Silurian Celt I'd be devastated!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 04:35 PM

Part of me would like to have it done - if only because I am the family archivist and it would add to the files but, like Rhian, I am wary of disappointment.

Is it very expensive ??
Silbee
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I'm not sure about this Silbee...
Unless I was coming out as 100% Silurian Celt I'd be devastated!!
Aye, much like I was nine years ago after a dna test with my brother which was 98.7% conclusive there wasn't a single cell of Welsh in me.

I have however come to terms with it. Our Mam was a dark horse to say the least.
Silbee

15-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Part of me would like to have it done - if only because I am the family archivist and it would add to the files but, like Rhian, I am wary of disappointment.

Is it very expensive ??
I was really surprised at the price. £79 plus another £10 for posting and packing. Results come down the wire with an outline on a map of the trail that you can print off.

Over the Christmas period it was twenty pounds cheaper so they do offers at quiet times.

I had paid £300 for a test with my brother some years previously so it seemed fair to me.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 04:57 PM

It sounds intriguing to find out whether you could match up with other DNA holders of certain family lines.

I never investigated it after reading the blurb to do with DNA rights and ownership of samples and the results and whatnots.
But then .. I'm naturally suspicious and just had visions of them hawking the results off to all interested parties... like Insurance companies.

Yes I know move along Morty, you wet blanket and killjoy.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
It sounds intriguing to find out whether you could match up with other DNA holders of certain family lines.

I never investigated it after reading the blurb to do with DNA rights and ownership of samples and the results and whatnots.
But then .. I'm naturally suspicious and just had visions of them hawking the results off to all interested partiers... like Insurance companies.
Ooh yeah! I hadn't thought it through that far
What if you had 20% Middle Eastern dna?
You'd be phone hacked, just for starters..
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Rhian .. you're taking the pee ... whereas in reality I think they take a saliva sample.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 05:47 PM

I had mine returned...no trace of human DNA found. My missus said I was bloody weird.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 05:50 PM

I had my code read, it said I was a Reduced packet of doughnuts from Sainsbury's.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top